FAA Targets UAS Violators for Enforcement

BigAl07

Administrator
Staff Member
Premium Pilot
Reaction score
This is sort of a hodge podge of information but it's important so here you go:

FAA Targets UAS Violators for Enforcement

FAA has told employees to pass any case of a drone pilot getting in the way of wildfire fighters, law enforcement or medical teams onto the agency's chief counsel. "Under FAA guidance, inspectors generally use non-enforcement methods, including education, for correcting unintentional violations that arise from factors such as flawed systems, simple mistakes, or lack of understanding," the agency said in a statement Friday. "However, given the potential for direct and immediate interference with potentially life-saving operations where minutes matter, offenders will immediately be considered for enforcement actions." If FAA finds out that a drone pilot "knowingly or recklessly" interfered with an emergency response, it will "generally" pursue a $15,000 to $20,000 fine — the maximum allowed by law.

Reactions: MotorCycle-Man
Ouch, that would put a big hurt on my business, family and life.

Ouch, that would put a big hurt on my business, family and life.

Fortunately that only comes into play if you bust the regulations :)

Mexico law to be enforced starting December 1st. Anything over 250 grams must be registered or max fine of $24,000. To register you must have been born in Mexico.

We had a series of large (by UK standards) wildfires earlier in the year. Several drone pilots were asked to leave the burning moorland area by police, although I didn’t hear of any prosecutions.

As is stressed above, “minutes matter” in these situations and the job is already difficult enough without any unwanted distractions. Some members of the public think only of themselves and view an emergency as a “theme park” opportunity. Perhaps the most common and widespread similar example I can think of is motorists taking snapshots of a road crash using their phones whilst passing by. This should be made an offence - and negate any car insurance claim - as traffic police know it frequently results in secondary road incidents because attention is distracted.

I should add that, in general, my wish is for less regulation in life. But only where there isn’t mindlessness, which includes mental blindness caused by self-preoccupation.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20