exemption 333

Reaction score
For those of you that are doing or thinking about getting paid for flying.. Do you have or did you apply for exemption 333?

The market is now extremely flooded with first time UAV pilots who blew 1K and now think they are "professional photographers" because they have never seen an aerial perspective until now. I'll sit this one out.

Applied mid-May. Noticed at least one application that was approved in 2.5 months. That person mentioned something about FAA has installed a 2nd shift to process the applications. So approval in July if true or September based on standard 4 months. Of course, for me, an approval is long ways from actually making money from it. Let's see.

U guys notice the trend of only allowing the exemption for people with at least a private pilots license?

Is an FAA-issued pilot certificate required to operate a civil UAS under an experimental airworthiness certificate or a grant of exemption under Section 333?
If the aircraft is issued an airworthiness certificate, a pilot certificate is required. 5

Pilot certification requirements for petitions for exemption under Section 333 are evaluated on a case-by-case basis. While Section 333 grants the Secretary of Transportation flexibility with regard to airworthiness certification requirements, it does not grant the Secretary any flexibility with regard to airman certification standards as outlined in Sections 44703 and 44711 of Title 49 of the United States Code (49 USC). An FAA airman certificate is required to operate an aircraft in the National Airspace System.

I was looking at approved exemptions on regulations.gov and saw that people request exemption from the airworthiness requirement and the pilot certificate.

OK.. So for me to do some local real estate shots for money, do I need exemption 333? ( is that considered national airspace?)

And if so do I need to have an actual pilot license or a uav pilot license?

OK.. So for me to do some local real estate shots for money, do I need exemption 333? ( is that considered national airspace?)

And if so do I need to have an actual pilot license or a uav pilot license?

Yes, currently in the USA you need to have a 333 exemption to fly a UAS commercially (for any purposes). There are several people that have done commercial jobs without an exemption and although it's not being strongly enforced doesn't mean that you don't run the risk of being investigated.

The 333 exemption outlines the requirements to obtain but, yes you need to be an FAA certified airman in order to obtain an exemption.

Reactions: snerd
You can get a 333 without a pilots license, however you must have a pilots license to fly the drone after you get the 333 (a non pilot could get the 333 then hire a licensed pilot), that is very clear

A pilots license does not guarantee you are a great drone pilot, however it does prove you know FAA regulations and airspac.

There is no 'drone license' now, however I;m sure at some point in the future there will be and at that time you will probable be able to use a drone commercially with one, however the FAA moves very slowly, so don't look for a 'drone license' anytime in the next couple of years

Yes, currently in the USA you need to have a 333 exemption to fly a UAS commercially (for any purposes). There are several people that have done commercial jobs without an exemption and although it's not being strongly enforced doesn't mean that you don't run the risk of being investigated.

The 333 exemption outlines the requirements to obtain but, yes you need to be an FAA certified airman in order to obtain an exemption.

what is a certified airman?

I found this:

https://www.faa.gov/news/updates/?newsId=82485

The FAA also made two other changes to the Section 333 exemption process last week:
  • The agency now allows operations under these exemptions by people who hold a recreational or sport pilot certificate. Previously, Section 333 operators were required to have at least a private pilot certificate. The newly added certificates are easier to obtain, and therefore less costly, than a private pilot certificate.
  • A third class medical certificate is no longer required. Now, a Section 333 operator only needs a valid driver’s license to satisfy the medical requirement. This change is consistent with the agency’s approach for sport pilot certificate holders, who may fly light sport aircraft with a driver’s license and no FAA medical certificate.

you need a pilots license of some type, but no medical,,,a sport pilot license is a pilots license, just a little easier to get, still not cheap/easy, but cheaper and easier than traditional single engine

you need a pilots license of some type, but no medical,,,a sport pilot license is a pilots license, just a little easier to get, still not cheap/easy, but cheaper and easier than traditional single engine

so one must be trained in a real airplane to get the exemption...?

that's a joke...

I have a commercial pilot's license and may seek a 333, but I agree a pilot's license is overkill. The feds are in a sticky messof their own doing by ignoring UAVs for a long time, and are moving slowly and carefully. IMHO, they should require UAV pilots to complete ground school and pass the FAA written exam as a minimum. Anyone operating in the NAS should know the "rules of the road" aeronautical charts, weather, airspace designations, VFR rules, etc.

Requiring a priv. license is ridiculous, it cost about 8-10k to get one.
Luis

so one must be trained in a real airplane to get the exemption...?

that's a joke...
I don't think that will hold (too many dollars involved in commerce potential and Congress carries weight with FAA) but I'm guessing, only an educated guess, the feds will relent and establish a UAS aeronautical certificate with only a ground school requirement. The cost of a PP license is too high for just UAV operation. It will help if UAV operators form a strong organization (UAVSA?) to lobby Congress. It cost money to get our elected representatives to do their job.

First remember that the pilots license is only required for Commercial operation of the done, not for recreation.

I agree a pilots license is overkill, but until they get a license procedure for drones (yes ground school etc), it will be required, and it twill take time to establish a licensing procedure for drone only license.

As far as lobbying congress,,,sort of hard to say "we think the FAA is taking safety too far and requiring too much",,,the FAA would prefer to require too much than not enough,,it will change but it will take time

well until they establish the UAS certificate, if that is the plan which only makes sense, I can see lots of people breaking the law.

and yes, thanks andy, I realize this is for commercial use only.

paying 8-10K for a pilots license to film crops for farmers or to film real estate for sale is ridiculous. especially in rural areas. most people will laugh at that and ignore it...

I can see the new law requiring insurance and I have no problem with that. but the pilots license is just ridiculous...

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic