Every new step leads to new errors... and I truly believe I'm not an idiot

Reaction score
I mean, I could be an idiot. I think I have pretty good computer skills considering I used to be a professional photographer.

Now I can't even figure out how to EDIT my dang videos from my P4P+..... I have a Macbook Pro, shooting in .MP4, 4k 60fps, H264 codec..
Adobe Premiere Pro is worse than Michael J Fox....

what gives?

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

Last edited:
D4eJyfY.png

Unfortunately that machine is not going to "Cut It" as you've discovered. You'll need at the very least an i7 processor, 32GB Ram and a 4GB GPU - Even the current mid-range Imac struggles. I built a Blackintosh w/i7, 32GB Crucial RAM, Gigabyte Z170 Motherboard, 3 SSD's - 2 @ 256GB 1 @ 1TB, (2) 1GB Western Digital Spinning Drives, 8GB EVGA GeForce GTX 1070, DELL P2715Q, Corsair Case, and Misc, stuff. Total Cost $2175.00 Cuts 4K like butter! Quiet as a mouse. Leaves my MacPro 1,1 and 3,1 in the dust!

Last edited:
Reactions: Danoldo and Pharm
For what its worth, I have a similar problem. I have no problems in either PP or AE at 2.7 K but 4 K is very stuttery. I just use proxies for editing the 4K stuff and all goes quickly.

Unfortunately that machine is not going to "Cut It" as you've discovered. You'll need at the very least an i7 processor, 32GB Ram and a 4GB GPU - Even the current mid-range Imac struggles. I built a Blackintosh w/i7, 32GB Crucial RAM, Gigabyte Z170 Motherboard, 3 SSD's - 2 @ 256GB 1 @ 1TB, (2) 1GB Western Digital Spinning Drives, 8GB EVGA GeForce GTX 1070, DELL P2715Q, Corsair Case, and Misc, stuff. Total Cost $2175.00 Cuts 4K like butter! Quiet as a mouse. Leaves my MacPro 1,1 and 3,1 in the dust!
I am squinting at you with fury in my eyes

I am squinting at you with fury in my eyes

Just save your pennies and build a monster. I wasn't going to pay $3500+ for a new Top of The Line iMac (before the recent announcement) and even the New iMac Pro is ridiculous @ $4995 to start.

So I just stuck some money away each month, and in the meantime researched the heck out of building a Custom Mac, and took the plunge. It was actually pretty painless, and the little glitches I came across (3 in total) were easily resolved the day I built it.

I couldn't be happier! Heck my office is even 6 - 8° cooler because of the efficiency of this machine.

Just save your pennies and build a monster. I wasn't going to pay $3500+ for a new Top of The Line iMac (before the recent announcement) and even the New iMac Pro is ridiculous @ $4995 to start.

So I just stuck some money away each month, and in the meantime researched the heck out of building a Custom Mac, and took the plunge. It was actually pretty painless, and the little glitches I came across (3 in total) were easily resolved the day I built it.

I couldn't be happier! Heck my office is even 6 - 8° cooler because of the efficiency of this machine.
Oh, yeah, for sure. And money isn't the issue. I just have genuine disdain and jealous rage. Do you live within the 4 state belt near AZ? Debating on if I want to steal your computer. I could pull a NASA Chick thing and wear diapers across state lines to avoid bathroom stops.

:D My Security Team hails from Area 51

You don't need a Mac. PP runs on Win 10 just fine, 4k video is editable on my 16GB RAM, 6 core AMD, 2 SSD, 1GB NVidia GPU.
Don't get me wrong, it could be faster, and rendering is a tad slow in Media Encoder at 4k.
2.7k on this setup is smooth.

This is NOT a Mac/Win war. Please don't misunderstand, nor let it go there.

The OP is a Mac user the reply was based on that. I also use PP, Final Cut Studio 6.xx - 10.xx, and DaVinci Resolve. We also have 1 Win10 box, and you're correct. ;)

Thanks.

Of course, I wasn't trying to get into a Mac/PC debate, I also use both.
Just making the point that there are other options, especially when budget may be a consideration.

DaVinci resolve wont cut it -on this machine- either?

Nope. Resolve is great but extremely demanding. FCPX seems to work best on MB Pro, but of course you can't upgrade them. I have a few friends that have simply donated them to schools etc., and moved on.

PaulSouthport makes a wonderful case for Win/PC Hardware, hence my decision to build the Blackintosh. Top of the line PC hardware running MacOS.

I'm so heavily invested in the MacOS that it did not make economic sense to migrate our entire workflow to Win10. Furthermore, I personally can't stand the Win10 Update process - but that's another thread. :rolleyes:

If you want to remain in the MacOs environment, then I think you'll find that the best choice component wise and cost wise "might be" to build it. As you can see, @ $2100 my main goal wasn't to save money. It was to build a modular machine that Apple no longer offers. The fact that the "best" parts are available at a significantly reduced cost, is a Grand Slam! :D

Reactions: PaulSouthport

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl