end of DJI business in USA...??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agree with Meta4's take on this but if Autel's patent is really strong (I haven't checked) they have remedies that can make DJI USA's life pretty miserable. And DJI has lost some market momentum while Autel (especially with the EVO II) is gaining.

Samsung = South Korea
DJI = China
US politics = potentially very very different outcomes...

Reactions: skiptv
Interesting... especially since DJI has been around longer. Can foreign companies file for USA patents?

Too bad DJI is a Communist China attachment. That might explain why they don't consider good customer service necessary. As the "boycott China" movement grows DJI will suffer even though they make the best drones. I'll never buy another DJI product after all that has been exposed about China.

Radioman56
I am invested in Both DJI and Autel for the past 4.5 years now. I have 2 Phantom 4 Pro's, an Inspire 2 system, an EVO and an EVO II Pro now (arriving soon). All Great drones and have good overall support from both companies. As was mentioned below, it doesn't matter who was flying drones 1st - the question is did DJI commit Intellectual Property theft regarding their props that were designed and patented well before being added to the DJI design, and after reading the entire brief, the answer is clearly yes. Now I love DJI and think their controllers are better than Autel and the software as well, but DJI and companies in China have been committing IP theft with reckless abandon for the past 20 years - costing the US and countries around the world Trillions of dollars and 25 million + jobs worldwide, and are only recently getting called out on it. DJI also allegedly stole IP property from Qualcomm, TSMC, and dozens of other companies to produce their IMU's and Controllers and other parts. This is the Chinese company "business model" and not likely to end anytime soon.

The world as a whole is getting together and refusing to allow this practice to continue in the future. Articles on the internet show that Apple has been robbed of perhaps over 1 Trillion dollars of IP by Huawei - Every innovation Apple makes is then stolen by the Chinese engineers reverse-engineering apple products from their own manufacturing plants in China. Apple has supposedly allowed it to happen because they calculated that they will save enough money by still manufacturing the phones in China, so that for now, they can afford to be ripped offed off by Huawei. In the next 10 years most of the big Tech manufacturing industries (phones, Silicone chips, computer parts, medical devices, etc.) will be relocating their plants to other countries around the Pacific Rim that all respect the Intellectual Property of their manufacturing partners and countries. In conclusion, as I said - I love both DJI and Autel and they will both "agree to disagree agreeably" in the end and we will continue to receive our drones and this competition will drive further innovation for all of us. Oh.. and DJI will pay Autel $2 to $4 per drone moving forward in the US at least.... ?

My next Drone will be the ... Autel Robotics EVO II 8K Drone, $1500. Thats less than I spent for my DJI Phantom 3 Pro. Even though "Autel Intelligent Technology" is a Chinese Co. This EVO II 8K looks really good. OMHO, Capitan Bill

My next Drone will be the ... Autel Robotics EVO II 8K Drone, $1500. Thats less than I spent for my DJI Phantom 3 Pro. Even though "Autel Intelligent Technology" is a Chinese Co. This EVO II 8K looks really good. OMHO, Capitan Bill
Hey Capt Bill! If you can put a few more $$ into it, the 6K EVO II Pro with it's larger sensor will actually render a better image with a lot more features and controls than the 8K... I've been pouring over lots of 6K original files (not the images compressed by Youtube) along with the 8K files and I find that images and video are a whole level better in the 6K EVO II Pro. Don't get me wrong, the 8K images are very nice, but when I edit both the 6K and 8K footage side by side, and zoom in, the 6K video and images render with more detail I have a lot more information from the sensor to work with in editing. I originally was going to get the 8K and just upgrade the camera in the future to the 6K Pro. I figured the cost of the camera modules would be equal to the difference in price between the EVO II and EVO II Pro (roughly $300) - BOY was I wrong! I think the camera module for the 6K by itself was around $800! I quickly cancelled the 8K and put the order in for the EVO II Pro saving $500. Drone-Works is selling the EVO II with no crazy Amazon markups.

Reactions: Capt KO
Thanks Radioman56, I'm a professional videographer and have been doing so since 1989 (when the first ½ inch B&W portable Sony video camera and backpack deck was available.) I'm now using the JVC GY-HM200U and of course my P3P. I shoot the JVC in 4K and edit in Final Cut Pro at 720p. Dropping in 4K video into the timeline gives me the opportunity to Zoom/Pan at 400% with terrific quality. I can't wait to use 6K based on your recommendation. Video-On, Captain Bill

Reactions: Capt KO
Thanks Radioman56, I'm a professional videographer and have been doing so since 1989 (when the first ½ inch B&W portable Sony video camera and backpack deck was available.) I'm now using the JVC GY-HM200U and of course my P3P. I shoot the JVC in 4K and edit in Final Cut Pro at 720p. Dropping in 4K video into the timeline gives me the opportunity to Zoom/Pan at 400% with terrific quality. I can't wait to use 6K based on your recommendation. Video-On, Captain Bill
Wow! You go WAY back! Nice setup!

Hey Capt Bill! If you can put a few more $$ into it, the 6K EVO II Pro with it's larger sensor will actually render a better image with a lot more features and controls than the 8K... I've been pouring over lots of 6K original files (not the images compressed by Youtube) along with the 8K files and I find that images and video are a whole level better in the 6K EVO II Pro. Don't get me wrong, the 8K images are very nice, but when I edit both the 6K and 8K footage side by side, and zoom in, the 6K video and images render with more detail I have a lot more information from the sensor to work with in editing. I originally was going to get the 8K and just upgrade the camera in the future to the 6K Pro. I figured the cost of the camera modules would be equal to the difference in price between the EVO II and EVO II Pro (roughly $300) - BOY was I wrong! I think the camera module for the 6K by itself was around $800! I quickly cancelled the 8K and put the order in for the EVO II Pro saving $500. Drone-Works is selling the EVO II with no crazy Amazon markups.
If not pro designer who for god sake would need 6 or even 8K? Only if somebody is cropping the whole video what would be rather bizare.
Those resolutions over 4K are almost impossible to work with (for us regular people).

Too bad DJI is a Communist China attachment. That might explain why they don't consider good customer service necessary. As the "boycott China" movement grows DJI will suffer even though they make the best drones. I'll never buy another DJI product after all that has been exposed about China.
Do you buy drones by political system or by quality. This chinese paranoia is only a USA invention or should I say a single man invention. I hope tbat majority of people do not agree with that. I have nothing to do with China, it's only a common sense.h

Reactions: droningandmore
If not pro designer who for god sake would need 6 or even 8K? Only if somebody is cropping the whole video what would be rather bizare.
Those resolutions over 4K are almost impossible to work with (for us regular people).
Hi Andy I think you are correct. Was editing 4K on my i9-9900K system up until January this year which worked fairly well with Adobe Premier w/ no need for proxies. I built a beast of an editing rig in January using the new 3970X Threadripper w/ 128GB of RAM with all 32 cores overclocked at 4.3GHZ... and even THEN it takes much more time than I would like when rendering and exporting 6K and 8K footage. You need to be very "judicious" when recording at these ultra high resolutions and keep to areas of the video where you know you might likely crop in, or in inspection jobs where key infrastructure targets need the highest resolution. Anything above 4K (and often 1080p) will never be appreciated on most people's monitors and media devices.

In a perfect world, DJI would pay millions to Autel and anyone else they infringed upon to claw themselves to the top of the drone industry. The Chinese aren't innovators, they are intellectual property thieves. Always have been and I hope the US can take over this tremendously lucrative market and produce products that can give drone enthusiasts what they want while protecting FAA and FCC interests....and get Big Brother out of our hobby for good. Dream on, huh?

Hi Andy I think you are correct. Was editing 4K on my i9-9900K system up until January this year which worked fairly well with Adobe Premier w/ no need for proxies. I built a beast of an editing rig in January using the new 3970X Threadripper w/ 128GB of RAM with all 32 cores overclocked at 4.3GHZ... and even THEN it takes much more time than I would like when rendering and exporting 6K and 8K footage. You need to be very "judicious" when recording at these ultra high resolutions and keep to areas of the video where you know you might likely crop in, or in inspection jobs where key infrastructure targets need the highest resolution. Anything above 4K (and often 1080p) will never be appreciated on most people's monitors and media devices.
UPDATE! Adobe & Nvidia just optimized Premier Pro and the CUDA acceleration to run typical jobs that take 15 minutes down to a minute or two! See Gerald Undone on Youtube for the full video

My Final Cut Pro (FCP) workflow which includes some 4K clips looks like this: (note: in a FCP timeline the first clip dropped in, sets the resolution for that timeline.) So first, I drop my dummy 720p clip (I use 720p.mp4 for output to Youtube, a clients web page, a Flash drive and for authoring a DVD either SD or Blu-Ray).

Then the the various other clips are added in, some 1080p, 1080i, 720p, 4K, titles stills etc. As I work the timeline, rendering is done in the background. Let's say I decided to change a small part of a previously rendered 4K clip , now I wish to zoom in with a pan and a partial pull out. FCP uses the necessary piece of the original 4K resolution file for this new render. It's all seamless, and the timeline plays smoothly, even with titles, filters and stacked video and multiple audio clips.

I recently edited a video for the Connecticut Governors Horse Guard, at their facility which has a dozen pastures, barns and rinks. Most of the video was done with with my 4K JVC and my P3P both set to 3840X2160/30p. There were 4 horses in a far pasture comezerating with 2 other horses over their fence, playing really, the director had an idea. On the original clip these horses were very small in the top left corner of the scene, I was able to zoom in, and even see the birds walking around the grass under the horses feet. 4K is a wonderful thing, I can't wait for 6K.
Captain Bill

Reactions: Basspig
1. its all about money, Autel does not want to shut down DJI, they want a percentage of sales, a royalty payment that is back dated so they can make the most money. 2. different administration would have a different outcome, this judge is appointed by the current Trump administration, it still has to go to the entire board for review, punishing Chinese companies is a 'backdoor' trade war strategy. 3. Those who use consumer/commercial drones for business or careers now would not have a job or business at all if not for the founders of DJI, who really didn't invent the Drone but wrote the code that the flight computers on the drone uses to vary the speeds of the motors to allow flight. 4. Even if we stop buying drones form China, and drone parts, 90% of the lithium batteries in the world come from China, because they own 100% of the worlds raw mines that lithium comes from in Africa, South America etc. 5. The reason China dominates the USA now in products, manufacturing, and innovation, is good old capitalistic greed. CEOs wanted massive salaries, Share Holders wanted huge stock dividends, and consumers wanted cheaper products. Hence everything went offshore, China didn't "steel" corporate secrets, our corporations in the USA gave it to them. We buy Saudi Oil, and they attacked us on 9/11, why cause the oil was cheap, we buy food from Mexico why cause its cheap. Like it or not, its a global economy, and if you shot down China's drones now, you destroy 10s of 1000s of small independent freelance pilots that earn a full time living with their drones or pick up some extra money to pay the bills. If you shut down China Drones, you destroy 1000s of small businesses that DJI Drones created. As for not wanting to buy a DJI Drone because you believe all the dis-information, that's your call. for me, I'll stick with a superior product to provide the best tech for my business.

Inside info from Gannet, another drone that plans to use a very similar (left/right) prop mount. DJI has already defeated Autel prop mount design patent and 2 other of their patents, this week. Just a bump in the industrial world. Should resume prop production soon. ? sweet dreams.
Link
DJI scores win against Autel in latest patent dispute round - DroneDJ

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic