Effects of running a battery to empty

Reaction score
A question: It is stated that you don't want to run your battery all the way down or you will ruin your battery. What does that mean exactly? I ran a battery to empty (well to 6-8%) which has maybe 10 charges on it. It seems fine. Should I worry that it might fall out of the sky at some point due to a battery failure, or might it experience shorter and shorter flight times? Has anyone actually experienced issues with running batteries to empty?

A question: It is stated that you don't want to run your battery all the way down or you will ruin your battery. What does that mean exactly? I ran a battery to empty (well to 6-8%) which has maybe 10 charges on it. It seems fine. Should I worry that it might fall out of the sky at some point due to a battery failure, or might it experience shorter and shorter flight times? Has anyone actually experienced issues with running batteries to empty?

No, you shouldn't worry-- check the battery cell balance in the app, if one of the cells on that battery is .03 to .07 lower than the other cells, there may be a developing battery issue. If the battery is consistently flown below 10%, it may not last long.

The big issue with low cells is that when the battery gets to 50 % in flight and one of the cells is significantly lower than the others-- then the point of failure comes when that cell becomes low enough to drain completely with the current draw it takes to turn the motors.

The lower a cell gets, the faster it drains. There are many good videos on battery break in, care and maintenance-- do yourself a favor and watch them-- they may save you a lot of grief. Cheers:)

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnboy94