Edit Orthophotos (GEO-tif) and 3D:s

Reaction score
I'm going to do a capture of a rather big area. The customer would like to get pictures, an Orthophoto and a 3D. I'm going to use Dronedeploy to get the stitching done
The problem is that the customer would like to have text in the 3D/Ortho containing Street names, name of certain stations and driving directions. Written on the streets in the image, if you understand what I mean. Of course I could create som 30 ft banners with text and lay them on the streets before doing the capture, but.. Well.. Not very easy to handle, so to speak..

Is there a way to… edit an ortho and a 3D in order to add the text mentioned above without killing the GEO - information in the GeoTIFF or 3D. I've been scaning all over, but can't find anything. A tutorial? A link? I have both SAGA GIS and QGIS available on my laptop, but unfortunately nothing I can use to edit the OBJ.

Anything is greatly appreciated!

Best regards from Sweden!

Roger

I'm going to do a capture of a rather big area. The customer would like to get pictures, an Orthophoto and a 3D. I'm going to use Dronedeploy to get the stitching done
The problem is that the customer would like to have text in the 3D/Ortho containing Street names, name of certain stations and driving directions. Written on the streets in the image, if you understand what I mean. Of course I could create som 30 ft banners with text and lay them on the streets before doing the capture, but.. Well.. Not very easy to handle, so to speak..

Is there a way to… edit an ortho and a 3D in order to add the text mentioned above without killing the GEO - information in the GeoTIFF or 3D. I've been scaning all over, but can't find anything. A tutorial? A link? I have both SAGA GIS and QGIS available on my laptop, but unfortunately nothing I can use to edit the OBJ.

Anything is greatly appreciated!

Best regards from Sweden!

Roger
Why couldn't you just open the completed geo.tiff file in QGIS and then lay out a map in which you add blocks of text on top of the image where you want the names; or create vector features in QGIS on top of the image, include names in the attribute table of those features, turn on the labels, and then either make the vector features mostly transparent or with no color at all, but with the labels still turned on?

I managed to open the TIF in QGIS. I also managed to add a shape layer on top, and added some text. But I wasn't able to figure out:

1. Why the text doesn't scale up/down when I'm changing the scale of the image
2. How to merge the new layer to the old
3. How to save these two layers as ONE GEO-tiff.

To be honest I can't figure out how to save ANYTHING as a TIF. I can only save the map as a QGIS project file.

I assume this should work, but I cannot get this right, and this is why I was asking for a good tutorial.

I've been using this YT-video:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
, which covers the latter part of your explanation, but it ends just before my questions are replied.. (1, 2 and 3 above)

R

I'm not a QGIS user, but am wondering if you can EXPORT the QGIS project file to a GeoTIFF rather than saving?

I'm not a QGIS user, but am wondering if you can EXPORT the QGIS project file to a GeoTIFF rather than saving?

Thank's for the hint.
If I right click on the raster image I surely can select Export as a GEO TIFF. But It only exports the original TIFF. Not the Shape layer I added in which I made my drawings. This leads me back to questions 2 and 3 in my original posting.
If I select both layers tyhe GEO TIFF - option disappeares.

And... the exported file grows from 300 Megs to 1,3 Gigs, is Black&White and has a crappy resolution.

Maybe QGIS hasn't got the qualities I thought.

Best

Roger

Try GlobalMapper. I think it should do the job and for sure it can export a geotiff with added info. Try the demo and if it works for you consider buying it. It is not expensive. I am surveyor and this program has been my favorite gis package.

Try GlobalMapper. I think it should do the job and for sure it can export a geotiff with added info. Try the demo and if it works for you consider buying it. It is not expensive. I am surveyor and this program has been my favorite gis package.

Thanks. I'm surely going to try it out. The price doesn't matter if it does the job.

R

I use Pix4D for post processing. One of the options, in addition to creating the usual orthomosaic, is to create a .kmz. The orthomosaic can then be opened as a layer in Google Earth, which of course allows you to use all the standard GE functions, including those you've described. I think you would need to set the ortho layer to something like 50% transparency in order for the route and street names to "burn up" through the orthomosaic. Hope that helps.

Tried to reply
I managed to open the TIF in QGIS. I also managed to add a shape layer on top, and added some text. But I wasn't able to figure out:

1. Why the text doesn't scale up/down when I'm changing the scale of the image
2. How to merge the new layer to the old
3. How to save these two layers as ONE GEO-tiff.

To be honest I can't figure out how to save ANYTHING as a TIF. I can only save the map as a QGIS project file.

I assume this should work, but I cannot get this right, and this is why I was asking for a good tutorial.

I've been using this YT-video:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
, which covers the latter part of your explanation, but it ends just before my questions are replied.. (1, 2 and 3 above)

R
Tried to reply earlier but was doing so the wrong way. I don't think you can 'merge' a .shp with a .tiff file in any GIS software. They are completely different data formats. You might be able to do so in Adobe Illustrator but any data (char. of the image) that was in the image will be lost when it is replaced by the pixels that form the street lines/names. But in QGIS, the lines/labels of the vector file will always be separate from the image file....In the final map, whether as a QGIS project file or as an exported .jpg, the lines/labels will be 'on top' of the tiff and look like a single image even though it isn't.....

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.