eBay is not cheap for the saler

Reaction score
Just sold something today on eBay for around $900. This is the first time I've sold something on eBay.
Between the payPal fee, the eBay fee, and the $16.66 shipping fee, I paid about $130 USD. It was on eBay for less then a day.

Live and learn. :oops:

+1 for craigslist and classified sections like the one on this website

EBay is a rip off! I canceled my account after 13years. Final value fees on shipping?! Oh hell no!
Use the forums and Craigslist for sure.
EBay is full of drop shippers!

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

I am an ebay buyer... but I would have to think long and hard before selling there.

I am tired of the seller begging for feedback because of the draconian policies ebay has to keep the seller on edge. I have a few vendors I am loyal to, but I beg them to move off ebay and deal with e personally so they can make their margins... which they won't do because of their fear of ebay's reprisals.

I have issues with paypal, but use it as so many vendors accept it, and many use it exclusively, and considering what paypal takes off the top, I cannot understand why aside from ease of use. I wait weeks for products from overseas, and I have been very pleased with what I found- bar the occasional breakdown in translations, it is smooth-

I would do business in the US for stuff I find- and I have had luck there, but the margins are tight for a US vendor reselling imported goods to begin with- so after all the added costs of ebay and paypal, it pretty much makes the US vendor not able to compete.

When did it become okay for these banks and financial institutions to take more than their share? Oh that's right... when the country decided Gordon Geko and his greed philosophy were so darn cool. (a little secret folks- Speilberg was using satire... m'kay?)

I sell a bit on eBay and it has it's place. The nice thing is you reach the world. Most of my stuff ships overseas. You just need to know how to play the game. I offer free shipping but factor that into my price. I also factor in the fees. You might sell something and think "I did good" but after fees you didn't.

The downside of classifieds and Craigslist is you list something for $1000 and you get offers of $800. Sure you make more locally but I've rarely ever gotten more by selling locally than I have on eBay.

One thing that I don't like about eBay our the triple fees. You have a final value fee which is a fee on the item you've sold and the shipping you've collected (that's why I do free shipping). You also have a PayPal fee and since PayPal is owned by eBay, it's like double taxation.

When it comes to PayPal, there is no fee for getting money from a family or friend and also no fee if you end an item early. Use that info however you want.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20