East bay, Sacramento, Stockton, show of hands....

So frustrating trying to find a good area to fly here in the Bay Area. I took my new drone, Matrice 600 Pro and the Zenmuse Z30 to Treasure Island this morning looking for an open space with good views. I was approached by the governing body of the island requesting that they would rather I don't fly. Without causing any problems, I agreed, packed the aircraft back in the case and left. I did fly there so many times before with the Phantom 4 pro, so why not the M600? I understand it is such a big and intimidating looking drone but, where else can I fly the drone? I have so much desire to fly the drone but WHERE? Any idea on where is a good spot? I'm willing to travel north bay, east bay and what ever area I can be allowed. Any ideas?

So frustrating trying to find a good area to fly here in the Bay Area. I took my new drone, Matrice 600 Pro and the Zenmuse Z30 to Treasure Island this morning looking for an open space with good views. I was approached by the governing body of the island requesting that they would rather I don't fly. Without causing any problems, I agreed, packed the aircraft back in the case and left. I did fly there so many times before with the Phantom 4 pro, so why not the M600? I understand it is such a big and intimidating looking drone but, where else can I fly the drone? I have so much desire to fly the drone but WHERE? Any idea on where is a good spot? I'm willing to travel north bay, east bay and what ever area I can be allowed. Any ideas?

That’s a surprise, I have flown there several times without issue. Mostly to get nice views of the city and the Bay Bridge. Maybe something has changed? That being said, the bans across the East Bay are getting ridiculous. Pretty much any and all of the parks and open spaces across the region now have broad sweeping bans on all remotely operated craft, period. I don’t even try anymore.

I haven’t had issues in the North Bay as of yet, flying off of Sausalito, or up at the beaches around Marin County. Most of the State beaches from Half Moon south seem to be ok. I think Lands End now has a ban, in fact I think part of that area is National Park, which would ban drone use in any case. Although last time I flew there, no one bothered me, so I may be wrong. So, West and North (at least outside of the preserves and parks) are ok for now. East Bay seems to be a lost cause.

I contacted the Treasure Island Development Authority as requested and got an email reply from them. As of now, Treasure Island, San Francisco, CA drone flying is considered a special event that requires permission after submitting an application for a use permit with a proof of specific insurance requirements. This is what I received:

Special Event Insurance Requirements:
In addition to issuance of a Use Permit, Event Producers are required to carry
adequate liability insurance coverage for all Special Events held on Treasure Island.
Minimum insurance requirements are listed below, but these requirements may be
modified or increased depending on the nature of the event:
 Workers Compensation insurance with limits not less than $1 million;
 Employers’ Liability Coverage with limits of not less than $1,000,000 for each
accident or occurrence, Comprehensive or Commercial General Liability
Insurance with limits not less than $1,000,000 each occurrence, $2,000,000
aggregate for bodily injury, property damage, contractual liability, personal
injury, products and completed operations.
 Automobile Liability insurance with limits not less than $1 million.
A Certificate of Insurance confirming coverage and an Endorsement for Additional
Insureds form (known as a “Form CG 20” or equivalent) are both required. The
following entities must be endorsed as Additional Insureds on all policies required of
the Event Producer: “Treasure Island Development Authority, City and County of
San Francisco, United States of America, acting by and through the Department of
the Navy, and their officers, directors, employees and agents”.
One-Day Special Event General Liability Insurance coverage is available for
purchase through TIDA on a sliding fee scale based on the nature of the Special
Event and the number of participants. Event Promoters may request more
information from the Authority regarding the availability of this coverage if they do
not carry Liability Insurance themselves.
"If an Unmanned Aircraft System (UAS) is used for any purpose under this permit either directly by the Contractor or by a subcontractor to the Contractor, the Contractor shall ensure that such activity is covered by Unmanned Aircraft Systems insurance. The Contractor must submit proof of UAS insurance with an aggregate limit of at least $2,000,000. The certificate of insurance must include a separate policy endorsement showing proof of UAS coverage which at a minimum shall include coverage for damage to person and property. A second (separate) endorsement must be submitted naming “Treasure Island Development Authority, City and County of San Francisco, and their officers, directors, employees and agents”.
as Additional Insured for this coverage. NOTE: Each of these two endorsements require a separate attachment to the certificate of insurance."

Files I received through the email from the Treasure Island Authority.

Attachments

• Guideline for Special EventsAugust2013_accessible.pdf
    226 KB · Views: 345
  • Special Event Insurance Requirements New.pdf
    74.4 KB · Views: 281
12/28/2017 >>> New to this forum. New P3S in hand but so confused now about where I can fly it. Small UAS Cert. obtained. Reading and watching videos. Need advise from someone that can provide a bit of guidance. I am located near the CCC Sheriff's Office in Martinez. Thinking that may Tavan Field might be an OK place to fly or perhaps the Martinez Marina (not in the Regional Park area).

Files I received through the email from the Treasure Island Authority.

I’m not sure a local authority has a right to categorically define all use of a given device a special event, especially if used for none commercial purposes. I’m guessing the root issue would be the status of the land that makes up Treasure Island. If it’s public land, then the authority would have no right to make such broad stipulations. If it’s government land that is leased or administered by the authority, then they just might be able to do so. A lawyer would need to chime in on this issue.

None the less, it’s just another example of a local agency effectively banning drones for no particular reason.

In Lodi with part 107. Would love to meetup with other pilots and shoot in some great areas, views of SF, coast, im up for anything

Reactions: HaniG
Looking to get my drone pilot license. I live in Stockton . Can anyone point me in the right direction thanks

That’s a surprise, I have flown there several times without issue. Mostly to get nice views of the city and the Bay Bridge. Maybe something has changed? That being said, the bans across the East Bay are getting ridiculous. Pretty much any and all of the parks and open spaces across the region now have broad sweeping bans on all remotely operated craft, period. I don’t even try anymore.

I haven’t had issues in the North Bay as of yet, flying off of Sausalito, or up at the beaches around Marin County. Most of the State beaches from Half Moon south seem to be ok. I think Lands End now has a ban, in fact I think part of that area is National Park, which would ban drone use in any case. Although last time I flew there, no one bothered me, so I may be wrong. So, West and North (at least outside of the preserves and parks) are ok for now. East Bay seems to be a lost cause.

I agree I fly mostly below Half Moon Bay with no problems with park officials.

The Treasure Island board has not enacted their drone policy. I understand they are meeting in March and it may happen then. As SF drone school is on the island, there is much at stake. Until then, we fly.

Before this thread was hijacked, the discussion was of a possible MeetUp in a private area. Sounds like a great idea if it's set up to provide facilities for such an event: flat ground, water, bathroom, etc. I have 2 meetup groups that I could offer this event to, with a large base of membership. They are always looking for new places to fly. Maybe I can get together with the Thread Poster to test fly?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj