Dual Battery Mod

Got my Multistar LIHV batts mounted on my P3P and went for a test flight yesterday. Just to see how it handles the weight, these batts were not plugged in.

Well not so good. I got the 'motor overload' warning almost right away, on both a 5200/428 grams and 4000/356 grams . I am at 6000' so sure that is a factor compared to others on this thread.

I removed the VPS module and ran a velcro strap through it, along with dual lock on the bottom. Its all very solid, but just too much weight with those batts. If anyone has suggestions I'm all ears, but I think it is back to the drawing board.View attachment 77440 View attachment 77441

Its seems plausible the 6000' is whats hurting you. However, maybe its just the 2 rears overloading because of the weight distribution? If you could move the weight forward the warnings may cease? Ive got the standard and im in the process of shifting the weight forward for stability. I needed to extend the ribbon.
t1tjsO2.jpg

Got my Multistar LIHV batts mounted on my P3P and went for a test flight yesterday. Just to see how it handles the weight, these batts were not plugged in.

Well not so good. I got the 'motor overload' warning almost right away, on both a 5200/428 grams and 4000/356 grams . I am at 6000' so sure that is a factor compared to others on this thread.

I removed the VPS module and ran a velcro strap through it, along with dual lock on the bottom. Its all very solid, but just too much weight with those batts. If anyone has suggestions I'm all ears, but I think it is back to the drawing board.View attachment 77440 View attachment 77441
Have mind in about the same location @ 333 grams, leans a bit back on takeoff but then evens out. No overload message, but I have gotten it in the past without the battery.
IMAG0314.jpg

Have mind in about the same location @ 333 grams, leans a bit back on takeoff but then evens out. No overload message, but I have gotten it in the past without the battery.
View attachment 77442
What size battery is that William?

I think this is a result of having so much weight and no extra voltage to help. If i strap on my 5200 and try and fly without it being plugged in, i get the same motor overload issues. Infact, that caused me to even get an ESC status error. Really interested to know if the same thing occurs with the external battery connected. I bet the issues go away. And, that would help us know if elevation is an issue .. I'm at 500 ft above sea level .. anyone else here at a high altitude flying with dual batteries?

Also, is your P3p old motors or new?

Reactions: tml4191 and dan84uk
i remember seeing a PCB of the smart battery in here before.. but cant find it.. I know its somewhere in these pages.. can anyone confirm this is a P3 smart battery PCB? complete? would i be able to mod my own battery cells to this ??

DJI Phantom 3 smart battery protection board repair parts-in Parts & Accessories from Toys & Hobbies on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

that looks pretty complete. And yes, yes you can. Checkout my video here:

Some pics of me attempting to do the same start here: Dual Battery Mod

I recall maxwell smart was also trying something similar .. and probably a few others which I cant recall (its a long thread :p)

Reactions: tml4191 and Strat

I recall maxwell smart was also trying something similar .. and probably a few others which I cant recall (its a long thread :p)

Thanks, i been looking for a PCB and just found this on aliexpress.. but now i am wondering its probably not a genuine board??

hoping to find a genuine one.. dont want it spitting errors on me.. might still keep looking :D

I think this is a result of having so much weight and no extra voltage to help. If i strap on my 5200 and try and fly without it being plugged in, i get the same motor overload issues. Infact, that caused me to even get an ESC status error. Really interested to know if the same thing occurs with the external battery connected. I bet the issues go away. And, that would help us know if elevation is an issue .. I'm at 500 ft above sea level .. anyone else here at a high altitude flying with dual batteries?

Also, is your P3p old motors or new?
Good point, the intellicharging pcb on the oem battery might see the extra current and all voltage drop and set the warning, connecting the external will half the current passing through the pcb. Ive never tried taking off on just the oem.

Some pics of me attempting to do the same start here: Dual Battery Mod

I think he gave up in the end as it only worked intermittently

All I'm looking for right now thanks!

I think he gave up in the end as it only worked intermittently
in my case, i had this board running for a few days. It was when i tried to cleanup my solder, i bridged the two connections (positive and negative) and fried the board. 2nd smart board i fried, both were taken from stock DJI batteries. The concept works, just gotta make sure you get the balance leads right and dont fry the board.

Reactions: tml4191 and dan84uk
in my case, i had this board running for a few days. It was when i tried to cleanup my solder, i bridged the two connections (positive and negative) and fried the board. 2nd smart board i fried, both were taken from stock DJI batteries. The concept works, just gotta make sure you get the balance leads right and dont fry the board.

Does anywhere sell just the boards, so i can try make my own battery. I look on ebay for faulty batteries but none ever come up on ebay uk :(

Why not start a thread looking for worn out dead DJI batteries? I'm sure there'll be a lot out there. US and UK.

Last edited:
View attachment 77476 Hey guys this is the place for modded P3A ideas!! going to do a bird side mod.replacing the stock p3 antennas with RC antennas.going from 3 dbi to 6 dbi.if you want to follow this mod take a look at the bird side mod thread.its winter time here in Canada I am board need to do some more modding.thought about this idea over a Year ago when I modded my RC controller with the itelite antenna.but decided against it.i mean that the bird works great with stock antennas.if it aint busted why fix it?
Very interesting, done some antenna mods myself. But this thread is actually a thread exclusively for battery modifications bird side.

Sent from my HTC 10 using PhantomPilots mobile app

I also believe the warning will go away when plug battery in... it's setup very sensitive to rapid voltage drop... I can trigger that alarm with no extra weight in a cold day flying hard. I'm sure it will come up if I add weight to the bird and nothing plugged to keep voltage stable... old motors here... I believe they pull more amps when abused and trigger alarm easily on newer firmware 1.6 up... I always wonder if the old motors will actually have a edge with extra weight and windy days...

Thanks, i been looking for a PCB and just found this on aliexpress.. but now i am wondering its probably not a genuine board??

hoping to find a genuine one.. dont want it spitting errors on me.. might still keep looking :D
Hey bud I believe Midwest horizon FPV in the U.K. sells them.

Reactions: Strat
Its seems plausible the 6000' is whats hurting you. However, maybe its just the 2 rears overloading because of the weight distribution? If you could move the weight forward the warnings may cease? Ive got the standard and im in the process of shifting the weight forward for stability. I needed to extend the ribbon.
t1tjsO2.jpg
Hey bud can you post some pics of extending that cable?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tpren3