Drones for Whale Research

Reaction score
My friend Iain Kerr of the Ocean Alliance is using drones (including the Phantom 2) for whale research.

They collect whale "blow", which is mostly mucus, and analyze it for the presence of stress hormones. But traditional methods for collecting this actually stress the whales. So now they're using drones to collect it, which involves landing on the water.

Here's a video:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zl2ezapCGjw[/youtube]

Cool!
Drones were featured pretty heavily during Discovery Channel's "Shark Week" this year, too. Used in research, of course. ;-)

My friend Iain Kerr of the Ocean Alliance is using drones (including the Phantom 2) for whale research.

They collect whale "blow", which is mostly mucus, and analyze it for the presence of stress hormones. But traditional methods for collecting this actually stress the whales. So now they're using drones to collect it, which involves landing on the water.

Here's a video:

[youtube]
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
[/youtube]

this is amazing. I was looking for a video like this. I'm guessing the data they got from the surrogate suggested that there was minimal disturbance? at least compared to traditional methods. I've been capturing whale stuff but never that close.

My boat gets 'snotted' all of the time when the Humpbacks get close. I've not have my P3 so abused - would prefer not to have it happen as it is smelly and sticky and hard enough to get off the boat, much less a plastic UAV....

Hmm I want a floating drone

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.