Drones being hacked

D

DrewFlies

So from what I'm understanding is drones are actually being hacked and hijacked?

Theres a news special in my town about hackers easily hijacking drones. Looked it up on google and theres actually many articles about drones being hacked. Just a heads up. Be aware of where you fly your quad.

So from what I'm understanding is drones are actually being hacked and hijacked?

Theres a news special in my town about hackers easily hijacking drones. Looked it up on google and theres actually many articles about drones being hacked. Just a heads up. Be aware of where you fly your quad.

So since you have to connect to the P3 by pushing a button how are these getting hacked?

Yes you can use another controller to fly one but you have to have it in your hands to make the controller link with it.

Not sure what your trying to say?

So since you have to connect to the P3 by pushing a button how are these getting hacked?

Yes you can use another controller to fly one but you have to have it in your hands to make the controller link with it.

Not sure what your trying to say?

theres a news special talking about how the hack works and how some young guy made the hack.
It does something to the gps cordinates and tricks the quad into believing wrong gps cordinates. Dont know too much. Im not a hacker. Just giving a heads up to people

Reactions: suck it up
theres a news special talking about how the hack works and how some young guy made the hack.
It does something to the gps cordinates and tricks the quad into believing wrong gps cordinates. Dont know too much. Im not a hacker. Just giving a heads up to people

Any links? Sounds like the guy that claimed to have made an aircraft do things with the WIFI connection.........

Reactions: loganboyd
Any links? Sounds like the guy that claimed to have made an aircraft do things with the WIFI connection.........
You're thinking of the guy that hacked into the engine control of the plane through the in flight entertainment system. I seriously doubt those two are physically connected!

I saw that special tonight, just some dweeb looking for his 15 minutes, if the FAA/TSA/HLS actually thought he accomplished that little trick he would be behind bars. Although I hear United isn't taking any chances and put him on their 'Can not fly' list for life.

It's the sensationalist fake news network trying to scare people. (That's what they do.)
Yes, a determined hacker could take over anything controlled over WiFi, but it would take time to identify the correct WiFi signal, then figure out your network name then insert your own commands. All this takes time and probably wouldn't be complete until your batteries are exhausted and you land anyway. In the spectacular scary demo for the "news" network, he already knew the net name for his Parrot Drone and he simply took control from one iPhone to another iPhone. An awful lot of work for what reward??
The second story is about GPS spoofing or jamming. But if you are not flying waypoints messed up GPS data won't change how the Phantom is flying. If the GPS is jammed, you are automatically in the ATTI mode. If the GPS is spoofed and the Phantom thinks it's out of it's preset range, it will try to fly where it thinks home is. Manual mode will prevent this. Note that GPS jamming and spoofing hardware is illegal to own. (http://www.gps.gov/spectrum/jamming/)

Reactions: RyanK and Meta4
Steve's right.
This is one of those things that might technically be nearly possible - but is never going to happen in real life.
Still it makes a great story for journalists looking for some sensationalist nonsense for today's program and for the unskeptical to take in.

Hijacking Phantom 2 Vision and Vision+, is not so hard, if both networks are not protected by WPA, can be done in seconds. There's 2 ways to do it, the first way involve connecting to the range extender, changing the range extender name, rebooting, and reconnecting first to be able to get control of way point system(But obviously the operator must be stupid not to call his toy back when he loose wifi)...The second "theory" involve sending a fake new home point to the unsecured system(where you wan't the victim drone to go)and then a return to home request via the unsecured WiFi and watch the drone fly away the to the location where you will catch it later...

Just saying

Happy Hijacking

P/S: If you do little research some software allowing to do this are allready out there...

Even if this is true and someone could hack and confuse GPS coordinates, you are still in control. They don't fly ONLY by GPS coordinates. It's a direct radio link. Pulling back on the stick would still go back, forward still goes forward, etc.

Just saw a news special where a "drone pilot" is able to hover over somebodies house and steal their personality identity by hacking into a computer.

Sounds like the FAA are using every weapon possible to get people on their side of banning quads.

Just saw a news special where a "drone pilot" is able to hover over somebodies house and steal their personality identity by hacking into a computer.

Sounds like the FAA are using every weapon possible to get people on their side of banning quads.
I can park outside of someone's house and do the same thing. Should probably ban all forms of travel at this point.

Reactions: Liveaboard1992

No, this is another sensational scary faux news story. The FAA has no interest in nor jurisdiction over privacy.

I can park outside of someone's house and do the same thing. Should probably ban all forms of travel at this point.

Yep, could do it in my neighborhood sitting on my deck. PW on a wireless network router, what a novel idea.

You can't fix stupid but, you can steal their identity.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.