Drone Crash Into Tower

Reaction score
I let my friend fly my drone and came too close to Orono's abandoned water tower and crashed into it and fell on the walkway at the top. With Nightfall on the way and rain in the forecast, we had no choice but to climb the tower to retrieve it! The tower was built in the 1920's and has shifted after being decommissioned in 1997. Raw Footage
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I let my friend fly my drone and came too close to Orono's abandoned water tower and crashed into it and fell on the walkway at the top. With Nightfall on the way and rain in the forecast, we had no choice but to climb the tower to retrieve it! The tower was built in the 1920's and has shifted after being decommissioned in 1997. Raw Footage
Gezz see the dog said no at the start,that was a warning,,see the lean that top is on,,that's some scary stuff and like watching thriller movie, got big ones for climbing up there and coming back down,phew give me the shivers but glad drone back,awsome view and glad drone back ;):rolleyes:

You have given me yet ANOTHER piece of kit that I need to get for flying...
A BUCKET TRUCK!
Gee, thanks a bunch! How am I going to explain THIS ONE to my wife?

Really brave drone saving action.
The real risk was that corroded ladder. as it might broke in any moment.
Otherwise the climbing was nothing in comparing to this one:

What was the real cause of the crash? Completely incompetent operator or some wind vortex or e-failure?
I wish you safe flying in future.

Reactions: tonikg

Nope, Nope.Nope Nope!!!!!!!

What was the real cause of the crash? Completely incompetent operator or some wind vortex or e-failure?
Wow that is high and he is mad lol

Maybe I missed the drone you were trying retrieve as I was trying not to s**t my shorts.
That was f****** BOLD of you.
Without any safety equipment I can’t subscribe as I would be encouraging you keep doing more crazy s**t.
I don’t think you’ll listen but be safe.

I’m thinking the real risk would be the leaning bundle of wood at the top.

So the guy climbed up and made a big deal about it. That's nothing, think about the people that built it, that's something. I have seen chimney/ stacks constructed.
My scariest moment was 400 feet up. I had to go 20 feet out on an 8 inch I beam to hang a chain come a long. I was a pipe fitter not a monkey. That is as high as you are allow to fly your drone.

Okay. Now take your story add 100 years and you will be where that guy is on a 100 year old tower. Not a brand new freshly built one with very stable footing.
So the guy climbed up and made a big deal about it. That's nothing, think about the people that built it, that's something. I have seen chimney/ stacks constructed.
My scariest moment was 400 feet up. I had to go 20 feet out on an 8 inch I beam to hang a chain come a long. I was a pipe fitter not a monkey. That is as high as you are allow to fly your drone.

Reactions: MichaelAxelKlose
I don't know how tall the stack is, but it was still something to the people that worked on it a hundred years ago. 90 years ago they started building the Empire State Building.

It isn't that old. The chimney was built in 1976 and is 45 years old. They had pretty large cranes at the time, so workers did not build it with their bare legs and arms.
This one, although very challenging, can't be flown over by the drone. Practically it would be in a safe position if you fly up few m beside the chimney but you know - the law says different - 140m above the ground not above some structure.
It is 360m high!

Reactions: WV. Rootman
It isn't that old. The chimney was built in 1976 and is 45 years old. They had pretty large cranes at the time, so workers did not build it with their bare legs and arms.
This one, although very challenging, can't be flown over by thPractically it would be in a safe position if you fly up few m beside the chimney but you know - the law says different - 140m above the ground not above some structure.
It is 360m high!
It was a good video to show what it is like to climb and be on top of that chimney. I liked it. Being in construction, my point was, everyday day and all day workers were up there risking their lives to feed their families. That was their everyday view. Sometimes I would stop to think while I was working, I wish my family could see the view that I see. I have tried to tell my wife what I saw when I was working. She would say, don't tell me. It would worry her too badly.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers