Drone at UT game.

Typical TSIP (Texas Aggie term for UT students). The laws are for everyone else - not us special people.

However, in all fairness I have been dying to fly over recently renovated Kyle Field (Texas A&M's football stadium). Fortunately, common sense has prevailed.

Living in Waco, I offered to fly over the new Baylor stadium (while empty) and provide the video free to the school. My contact with Baylor said they decided to go with someone that was going to charge them. I guess if is is free it can't be very good.

I saw this on my local news station and thought to myself, so if I take pictures with my cell phone at the game , am I violating any laws because I didn't have permission from whomever. I'm all for following the laws and taken responsibility , but the news story was showing him flying with responsibility hovering and taking pics. And $1000 fine for each pic because of no permission , guess I should send a bill to Google earth , NASA, and anyone else who has a pic of my property..

If you'd like some comic relief, watch the news clip at :04 several times when he says "... investigating a DRONE that flew over...". It's hilarious. Everyone just loves this new word. You'd think he was reporting on a UFO from Mars. I was flying Saturday in a populated area in a park where no one was around while my car was being serviced. Kind of rare for me since I like to fly out in the wilderness in the early morning hours. I walked to the park with my Phantom backpack and had three people walked by. All three asked "Is that a drone?" I have to admit, I was surprised to hear their positive interest and questions. Of course I love to tell people all about it. A lesson for me that not all "drone inquiries" are haters. Anyway, watch that clip linked by the OP and have a good laugh. "... a DRONE..." I love it.

Texas has a law on the books regarding drone video and privacy. Seems hardly enforceable though. Reckless endangerment however could definitely result in a dent in mom and dad's bank account if they need to defend this moron.

When will these ******* idiots in the media and some these law enforcement agencies stop calling our model aircraft "drones"? :x They are NOT drones and all this negative **** is them trying to demonize quadcopters and the like because of ignorance and paranoia! Maybe it's about time organisations or groups with an interest in the hobby tried to find a politician somewhere that had some sympathetic leanings towards our hobby to speak up in our support and educate the thick twats. Maybe even these organisation did some fund raising to finance some positive TV public service advertising. Or is that too pie in sky? :?

I don't think it much matters what you call them. The media will do what they will.

For instance:
1) There's a lot you can do with a smart phone that is not texting but involves taking your eyes off the road and fingering your phone - but when there's an accident it's always "texting".

2) Who would have thought most car accidents are caused by SUVs? "An SUV crashed into a .... and caused ...."

Drone, schmone. It's the idiots who fly them irresponsibly that are the problem, and I just don't think it matters whether they're called drone, quad, UAV, what have you.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT