Drone above US Navy submarine base, Bangor ME. Navy not happy.

Maybe we should have a sub-forum under News called "They're going to ruin it for everyone."

Same old crap - in this case a civilian worker reported seeing a drone - no evidence of one and no one else reported seeing the same (at least as reported in the article).

Just seems odd ((again) only one person saw this activity and reported it - probably a real bird just gliding away minding its own business and someone who has been reading all the reports decided to call it a drone to grab some local headline.

In the abscence of further evidence chalk it up as just another ufo sighting and move on. From general discussion its clear people are in three camps with drones, dissinterested, enthusiastic or they ahould be banned. Agree this style of media sensationalism doesnt help our cause.

Reactions: pomonabill220
"It could be a hoax, but worst-case scenario, it could be clandestine, a foreign government, a cell," Starcevich said. "The creepy thing is they're only doing it at night. What are you going to see at night unless you have an infrared camera?"

A civilian could have only seen the lights and possibly heard it. The base does not have security? I'd think they might have seen or heard it as well.

Maybe I'm just slow. Can someone please point out the restricted air space over a submarine base near Bangor Maine for me?

Are they referring to the area that is miles and miles off shore??

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1456532411.686596.jpg

Maybe I'm just slow. Can someone please point out the restricted air space over a submarine base near Bangor Maine for me?

Are they referring to the area that is miles and miles off shore??

View attachment 45120
You are off by a click or 3000. If I remember correctly Sub Command Atlantic is still in Georgia.

You are looking for Washington State, I believe..........

Ah. Canadian naturalized citizen here. Still learning US geography :)
Don't feel bad, I was unsure at first, Puget Sound was always the previous reference base.
Plus I believe the post title referenced Maine. So we both could be wrong. Lol

Reactions: damoncooper
Don't feel bad, I was unsure at first, Puget Sound was always the previous reference base.
Plus I believe the post title referenced Maine. So we both could be wrong. Lol

Oops, my mistake. Sorry!

They are not ruining it for everyone. I've lived near Bangor Base in Washington for many years. If it's restricted it should be a NFZ. I'm sure most people may not realize they're even over a base. It's so spread out.

Also, Keyport they shoot and kill intruders. That's where the Nuclear warheads are deactivated waiting for the call to action. I would rather fly over the Bangor Base in Bremerton that be anywhere close to Keyport in Silverdale. Either they are not ruining it for anyone.... They will already have laws preventing people from flying in populated areas.... This is like saying "one drunk driver ruined it for everyone"... When you see tons of people flying with total disregard for the FAA guidelines.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

The Trident sub base or Bangor sub base or whatever one wishes to call it IS a NFZ, look on any aeronautical map.

Not only is it a NFZ, but a PROHIBITED flight area for all but the military and with prior clearance/permission.

Same old crap - in this case a civilian worker reported seeing a drone - no evidence of one and no one else reported seeing the same (at least as reported in the article).

Just seems odd ((again) only one person saw this activity and reported it - probably a real bird just gliding away minding its own business and someone who has been reading all the reports decided to call it a drone to grab some local headline.
Actually the local news was following this and interviewing various people who have seen the drone several times since Feb. 8th, always at night. Probably just some neighbor not realizing the uproar he was causing until it hit the local media.

Well then, how did the Drone go over it?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Unfortunately, it's not actually a NFZ in DJI's maps; neither the existing system nor GEO recognize it as a prohibited area. Which honestly is something DJI should consider adding since really there aren't very many P-areas nationwide (and P-56 is already encompassed by the DC restricted zone).

Have to remember that while DJI may be implementing FW to prevent drones that they make from entering such areas, there are a whole bunch of other manufacturers, not to mention the 'build your own' crowd that don't have similar restrictions.

This is a really old thread. Before DJI had the notification for NFZ's. They had NFZ's but the only one I ever saw back then was it wouldn't fly at all within a mile of a airport.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.