Downgrading for faster descent

Definately NOT manual mode. I am using the 3.04 firmware and when I switch to ATTI, it comes down very fast with very little left stick down. If I pull the left stick all the way down it drops like in free fall. Scary[/quote]
Strange this is different from my experience. Can you recover it with throttle easy?[/quote]

I have the Phantom moving in some direction whilst descending to prevent VRS, but it still comes down very quickly and it is difficult to stop because it continues to drift in ATTI.
Only tried bringing it straight down from a hover twice and both times it continued to fall maybe 30-40ft after releasing the left stick. Had to throttle up to slow the descent so it didn't hit the ground. Now I just flick the switch back to GPS and it stops falling within about 20ft or so.
Having said that, I rarely fly higher than 250ft so the descent restriction doesn't bother me. Only takes like a minute to bring it down from 250ft

Well, v1.08 bit me in the butt today. I was careless and after doing a bit of flying over water, enjoying the responsiveness of v1.08, I got hit with VRS on descent. Luckily, water is softer than pavement, so it took yet another dunking (this makes 4). Luckily I had coated the brand new NukeRC clone battery pack I was flying, with CorrosionX. The Phantom should spring back to life after a 3 day dry-out. Question is, do I trust myself to restrain myself with slower descents, or should I just go back to v3.04, where it's done for me? I'm so sorry I ever left v2.0, which had a quicker, yet safer maximum descent speed.

Strange, I just went out and tested the descent rate under GPS and ATTI mode.

There was no difference in the descent rate when switching to ATTI mode.
The only difference was the loss of stability by turning off GPS mode.

I wish the ability to have the v3.0 firmware was a option. The descending rate was variable. The higher the altitude the faster the descent rate. From 200ft and below it was what v3.04 has it regardless of altitude. In v3.0 one time I was coming down with 3% battery and it increased the rate of descent to around14.5mph.

Reactions: jlrsn
flyNfrank said:
I wish the ability to have the v3.0 firmware was a option. The descending rate was variable. The higher the altitude the faster the descent rate. From 200ft and below it was what v3.04 has it regardless of altitude. In v3.0 one time I was coming down with 3% battery and it increased the rate of descent to around14.5mph.
Wow, did you experience VRS at that speed. If I'm not mistaken anything over about 7mph straight down started signs of VRS, and I had to back off the throttle.

Does anyone know if during VRS, is there a surefire way to get out of it, like giving full forward thrust?

VRS, aka :Vortex Ring State and/or Settling With Power is a maneuver that I instructed real Helicopter Pilots how to enter, recognize, and fly out of for over 30+ years. It actually is very controllable if or when recognized. It can be very smooth or quite violent depending on the aircraft. It usually happens when descending at approximately 300' per minute and adding power to stop the descent. You can stop it by flying horizontally out of it or descending faster without power. I've done it many many thousands of times and unless you're are in a critical situation in a confined area and try to stop descending by adding power you have nothing to worry about. With your drone fly out of it. In real life the only times I even thought about it is when I was lifting maximum external loads on the end of long lift cables from the tops of say 300 or more foot high city buildings down to a truck located on a confined alleyway with basically no place to move. I've tried to get into VRS with my Drones and have never experience anything more than a little shaking.

Sent from my SM-N910V using PhantomPilots mobile app

This is an ancient thread.

But yes - we don't have VRS problems so much anymore because DJI programmed their drones to descend slowly enough to avoid VRS. I'd say the real VRS danger ended about a year and a half ago...? Something like that. Before then, it was a real problem for those who didn't know how to fly out of it...

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20