Does the Tablet and/or App Effect Video?

Reaction score
So, just a short background - I've been getting these dark vertical lines in the white areas of my videos. I've done an extensive search on the problem and have been troubleshooting non-stop ever since I got my P4 less than two months ago. I have a thread on the DJI forum in which yielded no ideas that worked. After speaking with DJI tech support in California, they advised that it needs repair and to send it in.

Back to the question in the subject, does the model of tablet and/or the app that's being ran at the time have any effect on the video quality that's stored on the micro-SD in the UAS? I ask because today I did a live Periscope broadcast from around my neighborhood and made two recordings.

The first has black vertical lines in the over-exposed white areas of the video. I was using the DJI Go 4 app when I made the first recording. I had previously been using the DJI Go app but I got a notice on my iPad to use the DJI GO 4 app since the old app is no longer supported.

The second recording, however, did not have the black vertical lines. I was using the Periscope app while flying and I'm wondering if the app could be causing the vertical white lines.

Note that the lines are showing up on the tablet while flying AND are also on the actual file on the micro SD card. However, the lines did not appear on the Periscope app and are NOT present on the file from the SD card after viewing on my PC.

So now I'm curious, could the app or the iPad be the culprit? My gut answer is no. The video files are directly recorded to the SD card by the camera onboard the P4 but I'm no expert. Remember, I just got this thing for Christmas so I'm not a SME by any means.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

your gut is wrong , if no lines when viewing the sd card in the pc then your ipad is the problem , when viewing video from P4 while sd card is still in P4 you won't see the true quality that is on the sd card

Reactions: VVATC
your gut is wrong , if no lines when viewing the sd card in the pc then your ipad is the problem , when viewing video from P4 while sd card is still in P4 you won't see the true quality that is on the sd card
The problem is not that the vertical lines are on the iPad when viewing during flight, it's that they're on the SD card when I remove it from the P4 and view it on my PC. The difference today was that the lines were NOT in the video that was captured while the Periscope app was running.

1. does the model of tablet and/or the app that's being ran at the time have any effect on the video quality that's stored on the micro-SD in the UAS?

A: No - recording on SD card occurs regardless of app or tablet, they are not even required and could be disconnected.

2. "the lines are showing up..on the actual file on the micro SD card. However, the lines are NOT present on the file from the SD card after viewing on my PC."

- you appear to contradict yourself unless I've misunderstood - how do you know the lines are on the SD card recording if they do not show on PC? (I'm trying to determine problem, not fault you). If these lines ARE on SD card recording - please post a short clip so we can see - I'm wondering if it's just the overexposure setting from DJIGO app (ie not the recording at all)?

So now I'm curious, could the app or the iPad be the culprit? My gut answer is no. The video files are directly recorded to the SD card by the camera onboard the P4 but I'm no expert. Remember, I just got this thing for Christmas so I'm not a SME by any means.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

A: No - recording on SD card occurs regardless of app or tablet, they are not even required and could be disconnected.

That's what I thought, also.

2. "the lines are showing up..on the actual file on the micro SD card. However, the lines are NOT present on the file from the SD card after viewing on my PC."

- you appear to contradict yourself unless I've misunderstood - how do you know the lines are on the SD card recording if they do not show on PC? (I'm trying to determine problem, not fault you). If these lines ARE on SD card recording - please post a short clip so we can see - I'm wondering if it's just the overexposure setting from DJIGO app (ie not the recording at all)?

No a contradiction, the difference was that I was using Periscope when I recorded the video which did not have vertical lines recorded on the SD card. Which is why part of my question was could the app on the iPad be the culprit.

It is NOT the overexposure warning. That feature is turned off and looks much different that the phenomenon I'm getting. The overexposure warning doesn't show up on the recorded file on the SD card. Also, it is thicker lines at a 45 degree slant. The problem I'm having is think vertical lines that show up on the SD card.

This is a file directly copied from the SD card and uploaded to YouTube...

Thanks - post and answers help, I don't know what is causing this either sorry, was hoping it may be something I'd recognise.. I agree it's very unlikely to be app, but may be app settings?
- are you able try (or retry) a different app that can record (say DJIGO - to try, DJI GS Pro)?
- I'm no Periscope user, but that it had no lines may be a clue. Correct me if wrong, doesn't Periscope broadcast live from the iPad, which if so, I think means the live (lower res) stream from Phantom is being broadcast? (ie: Different to stream that is recorded by Phantom to SD card - right?)
- you mention I think, Periscope recording - where exactly is that recording controlled from and stored (SD card or iPad I'm wondering)
- if you try change recording details on Phantom - to say MP4 from MOV, lower resolution etc - let's try get it working, then isolate cause

Hope I'm helping

Reactions: VVATC
Hope I'm helping

Yeah...I've been working the issue for quite a while so every little bit helps. I've tried file formats, resolutions (4k vs. 1080), different apps, different tablets, different SD cards, pretty much everything *I* can think of. But I'm good with any more suggestions because I haven't tried everything *you* can think of ;-)

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl