Does the phantom wetsuit actually do anything?

I’ve seen videos posted here on a phantom with wetsuit in heavy rain and am convinced that it does protect. What I would like to see is video from phantom as it flies through rain.

This is a pretty interesting video that was sent to us:
Shows someone caught in a storm , and follows all the guidelines , flying backwards, tilting the camera down , very cool.

If you ever do fly in the rain you will find it takes and extremely hard rain for the drone to capture the drops on video.
A good example of that is most of the videos we post its raining , buy dont see it and when it pouring I capture it up close for the website to show off the wet suit. ;)

Oooops, I just posted a reply that was obviously meant in jest about testing the Phantom wetsuit but it appears it got deleted for some reason. I'm new here so I'll have to check the rules to see if joking about a drone wetsuit test is allowed or not. Guess not. But I still wonder how those little brushless motors filled with water can still run.

In the old days of brushed motors for cars / boats etc ... it was common to 'break-in' a motor by running it in a container of water.....
Brushless motors are even less affected by water than brushed ... FRESH WATER .... not Sea Water.

Nothing will save you in seawater ...

River water even though classed as fresh - can in fact do damage especially to electronics by virtue of contaminants in the water. My P3S which went for a swim in the river suffered from such ... one motor now stutters but the other 3 which also were underwater for at least 30 mins are fine. The electronics are 'dodgy' and camera gimbal does not work.

I have various videos on YT that have drops on the lens even when tilted down from level ...

This comment I am sorry but I find patronising ....

There our people that do say they fly in the rain , but i doubt its this kind of rain, and if they dont have a video , its probably just talk, a sprinkle or light rain is not a full fledged 26 minute rain. Lets be real.

Basically as a person who has flown in reasonable rain that if I had known about - I would never have gone out and got 'caught' in. My P3P was caught at a good distance from home point and must have taken a good 8 - 9 minutes to return ... that in my mind is enough to prove MY point.

Reactions: PhantomFandom
Shows someone caught in a storm , and follows all the guidelines , flying backwards, tilting the camera down , very cool.

If you ever do fly in the rain you will find it takes and extremely hard rain for the drone to capture the drops on video.
A good example of that is most of the videos we post its raining , buy dont see it and when it pouring I capture it up close for the website to show off the wet suit. ;)

That is a cool video - unique perspective, but what about his/her controller? The wetsuit may protect the drone more, but nothing is ever said about the controller. How is the controller protected? I would think controlling a drone from inside a vehicle would break rules in most countries as your VLOS is very limited unless you keep it nearby and if it is raining heavily you would have to keep your vehicle on and its wipers going - not necessarily the best way to enjoy flying in the rain.

Chris

In the old days of brushed motors for cars / boats etc ... it was common to 'break-in' a motor by running it in a container of water.....
Brushless motors are even less affected by water than brushed ... FRESH WATER .... not Sea Water.

Nothing will save you in seawater ...

River water even though classed as fresh - can in fact do damage especially to electronics by virtue of contaminants in the water. My P3S which went for a swim in the river suffered from such ... one motor now stutters but the other 3 which also were underwater for at least 30 mins are fine. The electronics are 'dodgy' and camera gimbal does not work.
Have you tried taking the stuttering motor and inoperative gimbal apart and cleaning them thoroughly? I would. I had a water damaged gimbal that I took apart and cleaned thoroughly in distilled water and an air compressor. I cleaned the contacts on the ribbon cable with a pencil eraser. Gimbal is still working great after surgery for over 3 years.

Oooops, I just posted a reply that was obviously meant in jest about testing the Phantom wetsuit but it appears it got deleted for some reason. .
No it was never deleted but all should read the guidelines. :)
Also 1 seemed to miss post #8 and was deleted and warned. Anymore and will get the same. Think people .
9E0B0811-5F21-424D-9A05-A3F86789D38D.jpeg

Reactions: Capt KO
No it was never deleted but all should read the guidelines. :)
Thanks. Thought it was a goner since it appeared for a few minutes and then disappeared. I can see all my other posts just fine. Probably just my computer I suppose.

That is a cool video - unique perspective, but what about his/her controller? The wetsuit may protect the drone more, but nothing is ever said about the controller. How is the controller protected? I would think controlling a drone from inside a vehicle would break rules in most countries as your VLOS is very limited unless you keep it nearby and if it is raining heavily you would have to keep your vehicle on and its wipers going - not necessarily the best way to enjoy flying in the rain.

Chris
I would think that, if it's raining hard, you would have already hit the RTH button and are sitting in your nice dry car or truck drinking a cup of coffee while watching your landing pad.

Reactions: PhantomWetSuits
Its good to be a skeptic and we do in fact have videos of that very thing, you might try going to the website where you will see some pretty extraordinary footage and tests of the drone under water.

Phantomrain.org
Oh my gosh, that is amazing to hear. I was actually joking with an outrageous "test" idea readers could chuckle at. Many thanks and I'll go search for some of those videos.

Have you tried taking the stuttering motor and inoperative gimbal apart and cleaning them thoroughly? I would. I had a water damaged gimbal that I took apart and cleaned thoroughly in distilled water and an air compressor. I cleaned the contacts on the ribbon cable with a pencil eraser. Gimbal is still working great after surgery for over 3 years.

Once a BL motor stutters ... its usually 'naffed' .... and DJI motors are notoriously difficult to disassemble ... unlike most BL motors ...

I have given it a liberal dose of cleaner and a blow through ... I may see about taking it apart just for the sake of it ...

New one is about $14 ....

Why do people want to debate the wetsuit? If you don’t have a need, forget about it. If you do have a need, get one. No, It’s not submersible, but it works great to keep rain and grit out of my expensive drone. Bashers, get over it. Bye

Hey Coal, got an MM but not planning on a suit for it. Little spooky to fly it in weather anyhow. But does it have motor covers like the phantom suits? Will be beach flying it and haven’t seen the video.

Oooops, I just posted a reply that was obviously meant in jest about testing the Phantom wetsuit but it appears it got deleted for some reason. I'm new here so I'll have to check the rules to see if joking about a drone wetsuit test is allowed or not. Guess not. But I still wonder how those little brushless motors filled with water can still run.
On top of motor has neoprene circle and bottom o ring . No water enters motor:)
15757514957583120510715101787875.jpg

Why do people want to debate the wetsuit? If you don’t have a need, forget about it. If you do have a need, get one. No, It’s not submersible, but it works great to keep rain and grit out of my expensive drone. Bashers, get over it. Bye

Hey Coal, got an MM but not planning on a suit for it. Little spooky to fly it in weather anyhow. But does it have motor covers like the phantom suits? Will be beach flying it and haven’t seen the video.

Fantastic, I am really enjoying that mini, I just get a kick out of it, those motors are really the only design flaw as they our wide open and already there have been reports of blocked motors in the sky so yes I did make the Prop covers for them , making the props a little tighter and sealing it up .

Email me [email protected] and will get you a discount and get you set up.
Thank you.

Oh my gosh, that is amazing to hear. I was actually joking with an outrageous "test" idea readers could chuckle at. Many thanks and I'll go search for some of those videos.

I am just going to post the video for you as we just to many videos now>
Once we realized just how water resistant the camera was we were able to make a RESCUE jacket for if the drone crashed into the water for pick up.

We also have a video where it floats out in the lake for 60 minutes , but is boring to watch and Crash videos
This video give you an idea why rain has never been an issue for the camera. See we have done our homework, ;) Dirty river water not salt water. !

When your ready email me and I will give you the Phantompilots forum discount for you.
[email protected]

Chris

Car is my favorite or just inside your jacket zipped up works great , if your flying in the rain on purpose for storm chasing always best to seek some cover .

But if you have a pro plus controller your set up nice.!! But you can still use the jacket cover .
Moral of the story always fly with a zippered jacket ;)

That’s amazing video, nothing like I imagined it would be like.
Thanks for sharing.

I may sound like a newb for even saying it, but those suits look sweet as fun, and knowing its functional, not like a wrap, which is like fingernail polish vs. getting wolverines titanium nail implants!
I live in Arizona, so I don't see much rain, but I'm still wanting to buy one of these super cool suits because we get amazing thunderstorms beyond belief until someone films them for you to all see.

Last edited:
I am one member who is very happy with my wetsuits (2). Have flown in the rain many times with absolutely zero problems. The most critical area is the battery and this does a good job of protecting it. It also drains water away from other critical areas. I actually bought it to protect my drone from sand when fishing at the beach but I have gotten to enjoy the water protection it affords as well. Enjoy.
I am glad that you are getting good use out of your product. My point is that without a controlled test, then there is no proof that the wetsuit is helping in any way. You could have gotten the same results without the wetsuit.

If I spread some magic "accident prevention" pixie dust over my entire automobile and then drive around for a few days and don't have an accident, that is no proof at all that the pixie dust works to prevent accidents. Same exact premise here.

In regular RC ... there is a product that is used to protect all electrics ... covered and uncovered ...

Corrosion X.

People spray their ESC's ..... Camera's .... Servo's ..... motors ... Rx's .... you name it - it gets a dose of C X.

Buy it in cans !

I have not read of people using it on their DJI models ... but why not ? I know there are plenty people here who have RC models and will know about C-X ...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akinproplumbing