Does not hold position during rotation.

Reaction score
I have a Phantom. I have calibrated the compass. When I fly in GPS mode it hold it's place but when I rotate it seems to fly off until I stop rotating. Is this common or am I doing something wrong? I have been flying for about a month and didn't notice it doing this when I first started flying.

Do you by chance notice the satellite status when this happens? when I fly around my house my phantom goes in and out 6 to >6 satellites (no red flashes to 1 red flash). I have noticed that it tends to drift a little from momentum for a little bit if the 1 red light is flashing verses when its all green. which I think is somewhat normal, but what do I know im just a newbie, could be relevant or completely irrelevant

You have to define "drift" when doing a 360 degree turn on the yaw axis. Assuming you don't move the right stick, and only yaw 360 degree's, the GPS will maintain a "Position" that is within 2.5 meters horizontally, and 0.8 meters vertically. So, it will not maintain an exact position throughout the rotation-but will appear to drift-within the 2.5 meter "limit".

Doing a perfect 360 takes a lot of practice. I do them in Atti mode-but I have an FPV transmitter+monitor, and a bit of experience.
Another thing you can do is this; get the Phantom going on a straight line, flip the IOC lever to Course Lock, then apply yaw, and see if it spins 360 degree's while maintaining a forward course.

Also-I recommend that when you're able, to upgrade to an FPV system, and add the iOSD Mini system. This will tell you on the screen how many satellites you have. It's possible on the rotation, that you may start off with only 6, but then lose reception from1, and this may cause you to lose the stability of the GPS.

I did notice that it was flashing a red light so that may be the problem. I am going to take it out in the open and see if I still have the problem. Can you give me more info on the iOSD mini system? Thank you both!

Bob_Rush said:
I did notice that it was flashing a red light so that may be the problem. I am going to take it out in the open and see if I still have the problem. Can you give me more info on the iOSD mini system? Thank you both!
iOSD mini here;http://www.helipal.com/dji-iosd-mini-on-screen-display-module.html
BUT, it won't do you any good without a Go Pro 3 camera, and an FPV system. Add to that, a Zenmouse Gimbal with tilt if you really want to see what's going on. And, you can cut about 5 minutes off your flight time, due to the added weight.

If you saw 1 red flashing light-you only had 5 satellites, which is not enough for the aircraft to hold position. It will automatically enter Atti mode. IF, you know you don't have enough satellites, or want to fly indoors-just fly in Atti mode. But, I would practice a lot first, in GPS mode before attempting that.

a very common complaint

some people say that GPS seems to be disabled when you rotate , which does seems like it acts like that.
when I rotate at low altitude it spins around pretty centered, but up at altitude where there's more wind, mind drifts a bunch it seems. (both my Phantom and F450).
seems tho that the slower you rotate, the less it will drift tho.

I took my Phantom to a large open field and it rotated perfectly. I do think it was because I was not connected to enough satellites. Thank you all for the helpful information. Here is a video I took: http://youtu.be/P70SYdFjhbQ

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31