Do .DNG files have the ability to contain Lat, Long, and Alt data?

Reaction score
I have a DJI phantom 4 pro that I use to offer aerial mapping / survey data. I have exclusively used the Pix4d software and the Pix4dCapture app to plan the missions. Recently we photographed a steep mountainside and used the app: "Map Pilot by Maps made easy" since they have the terrain awareness feature. The photos taken were saved as a .DNG which pix4d does not support. I tried converting them to a TIFF or JPG, but when I uploaded the converted file to Pix4D, the pictures had no Geo Data (Lat, long, altitude). So they were not processed.

My question is can a .DNG file have this geodata in the first place, or is it being lost in the conversion process? Very frustrating, looking forward to your responses.

My question is can a .DNG file have this geodata in the first place, or is it being lost in the conversion process? Very frustrating, looking forward to your responses.
dng files from the drone do have GPS data in their Exif info just as jpg files do.
But it's not really necessary to shoot raw for mapping and survey work.
i-mrzVNQm-XL.jpg

Thank you for confirming that. In this case it was not our intention to shoot raw. As I understand it, that is more for people who want to edit the photo after. But back to my followup question: I use Pix4d, and they dont accept DNG format. But when I try and convert the DNG to a JPG (using free internet software...) the photos do not keep any geo referenced data. Any ideas of how to fix this?

Thank you for confirming that. In this case it was not our intention to shoot raw. As I understand it, that is more for people who want to edit the photo after. But back to my followup question: I use Pix4d, and they dont accept DNG format. But when I try and convert the DNG to a JPG (using free internet software...) the photos do not keep any geo referenced data. Any ideas of how to fix this?
You can edit jpg just as well as dng files - but that's not really relevant to your question.
I just tried opening a dng file in Photoshop and saving as a jpg or a tiff file and the exif info keeps the GPS data.

DJI dmg files are something of a misrepresentation. A true DNG file is just the sensor raw data which is incomprehensible to any photo editing program without help from softare that will translate from raw pixel data to a common format that is understood by photo editors. DJI does not provide raw sensor data, unlike Nikon, Canon and others, but rather supplies a preprocessed image encoded into tiff. This does include GPS data from the P34k, Mavic Air, and P4 adv. This TIFF file is quite high quality, but lacks the full flexibility of access to the real sensor data unprocessed.

TIFF is much higher quality than jpeg.

it sounds as if the location data is being lost in the conversion from DJI Raw (TIFF) to something else.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic