DJI Phantom with Mini Estes Rocket

I remember back in the 70's some guy mounted 2 mini booster rockets to his car in northern Arizona.( the ones used to help get planes with heavy loads going down the run way.) They found him and the late 50's chevy in bedded in a side of a hill 2 miles from where they think he started. I think it was 50 or 60 up off the ground. :eek::confused::cool:

This 'Urban Legend' is (un?)fortunately completely false:
JATO Car Embedded in Cliff

I am guessing that you started this thread because he saw the Blue Angels C130 fat Albert aircraft in action. It is a rocket assisted take off aircraft. While having rockets on a drone is a neat idea, it is not aerodynamically sound. If your intent is to have the drone fly faster then what the propellers can provide, then the aircraft will just fly out of control and likely crash. But hey, post a video anyway. I'm up for a good laugh too!

Adding additional thrust to a Phantom with a rocket would be doomed to failiour on at least 2 counts, 1 The gyro stabilization would fight any forward motion 2 This is a propeller driven drone designed to give lift and limited forward speed, if you did miraculously achieve forward rocket assisted flight the propellers would have to match the speed or become air brakes ( The US gov spent $ B in developing the Osprey)
The current configuration would have to change as well as the software to enable this flight profile......
Suggest you do this on July 4th...............

Reactions: BigAl07
Has anyone attached a mini Estes rocket to their phantom to see if it can be controlled with the significant increase in speed? Imagine being able to remotely activate a rocket booster in mid-air while moving in a forward direction. Almost like a NOS bottle for a car. What would happen? Can it be controlled? Would it go out of range faster then can be controlled? Is this crazy talk?

I'm not talking about duct taping a rocket to it either and laughing when it flyes into the ground or catches fire. I'm talking about a well thought out plan to attach the rocket in a position so when in full throttle in a forward direction you can't ignite and accelerate forward.
I attached a picture of the mini Estes for reference.

I'm considering doing this mod to my custom Phantom 2 vision.
I think you should find another hobby. Other than "drones".

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1