Did a range test today

Question: When creating a video with PIP, do you guys sync the screen recording to the video? How do you do this? Is it just a matter of guessing and make sure that when the video shows the bird taking off, the PIP picture shows altitude for example? Sorry if this is a stupid question but have never done anything like this before and it looks cool and would like to try it

I just used the editing software and moved/trimmed the two clips until they were in sync. You can see on the video (the end mainly) that I was a little off on the sync though but it's close enough for my first project attempting this. I did learn that if I want to get the sync better I should go to a spot in the video that has structures in it like my house. I think I could have gotten the sync much closer than I did just trying to sync using landscape. I'm having a pretty good time learning how to edit video also since I bought my P3S.

Last edited:
Reactions: Solly747400
Here are the links to those two flights. It took me a while to figure out how to upload them... HealthyDrones.com - Innovative flight data analysis that matters HealthyDrones.com - Innovative flight data analysis that matters
Very good indeed, I think you have a winner there. But there is two observations I like to mention. First thing is what contributed toward you getting this unusual range out of a Standard. Looks like you flew in a almost perfect WiFi free zone, don't think I saw but one dwelling that you went near on your flight path. And your home point was very sparsely populated. Very few pilots have this situation in there environments. All indicators on that report were good excluding the signal error page. They seem to be higher than they should be especially when within the normal range of the Standard. I would expect those numbers to be in the red or purple out past 5000 feet, but it's kind of odd that they're that high even from the very beginning and end of your flight path when you were very close in range.

Sent from my HTC 10 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Very good indeed, I think you have a winner there. But there is two observations I like to mention. First thing is what contributed toward you getting this unusual range out of a Standard. Looks like you flew in a almost perfect WiFi free zone, don't think I saw but one dwelling that you went near on your flight path. And your home point was very sparsely populated. Very few pilots have this situation in there environments. All indicators on that report were good excluding the signal error page. They seem to be higher than they should be especially when within the normal range of the Standard. I would expect those numbers to be in the red or purple out past 5000 feet, but it's kind of odd that they're that high even from the very beginning and end of your flight path when you were very close in range.

Sent from my HTC 10 using PhantomPilots mobile app
yes, it is sparsley populated out here..but believe it or not I live in an association lol. Im not sure what you mean about the signal. on my report it actually shows red and purple all the way, which I understand to be very poor ?? I didn't understand that, but im not complaining. Would you believe I actually had video the entire time I did the 10300 ft run ? that really amazed me. Thankyou by the way for telling me about healthy drones.com. It is nice to know I can store and share these flights as I didn't think anyone would believe me !!

I flew my P3s out 2840 ft. and it started to loose signal. At that point I puckered up and turned it around. It only warned of a weak signal and other interference. (I assume the wind)
That being said I am starting to consider upgrading the antenna. I may have a new addiction...

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

I flew my P3s out 2840 ft. and it started to loose signal. At that point I puckered up and turned it around. It only warned of a weak signal and other interference. (I assume the wind)
That being said I am starting to consider upgrading the antenna. I may have a new addiction...

The Argtek only takes ten minutes to install and my reception is incredible for close shots etc... I love the look as well

How is that even possible? I have a stock p3s and i don't get close to that distance... at about 1000 to 1500 feet i lose signal... i can still see the drone, but I still lose signal... is it the area or number of satellites or is it not really a stock p3s or what?

Sent from my SM-G935P using PhantomPilots mobile app

The Argtek only takes ten minutes to install and my reception is incredible for close shots etc... I love the look as well
The Argtek is defiantly on my radar as well. Still playing with it stock for now. If it would only quit raining long enough to fly.

Unrelated but noteworthy. I was in my local Wal Mart today and saw the Phantom 3 batteries on clearance for $99. Probably going to go pick me up one tomorrow.

Mine is totally stock for now. It may have something to do with the location you are testing form. I'm flying off a pretty high ridge with very little in the way of interference.

4cd00ea126ce3746fd70ad47fe402ce2.jpg

I also did a Range Test a few days ago with my back up bird while my other modded bird is being repaired. After I flew a lot of tests flights with the new Firmware 1.8.10. It was time to test the range. I was able to get 8214 Feet easy. Could have pushed farther but did want to risk it. I see lots of positive posts on the new firmware and just as many negative. Is it hit and miss on e Firmware upgrade or user error???

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Reactions: moflyer
I've gotten mine to 2200 feet, but there are radio towers, cell towers, and houses very near, I'm waiting for summer to go to some fields and test out this birds range

I am flying around houses and some power lines, but no major cell towers or anything bigger than typical residential power lines... I have the wind surfer now, but that has not had much effect... One flight I made it out to 1500 feet with the wind surfer which is a bit further than stock, but no where near the range you guys are talking... I believe I am going with a DBS and see how it works

82b92faa215d28f2dab12c9d5cd14adb.jpg

I nearly doubled my distance with a homemade windsurfer I got from toms tech time. Easy to make and works well!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dlr11164