Critical Battery Warnings

Reaction score
Having issues with a couple of batteries on my well used P3P.
I have three batteries, one at 105 recharges, one at 85 and a newer one at 54 recharges.

Now that it is winter here in New Zealand, I am noticing that the batteries are very susceptible to the cold and the drone wont start without some pre warming of the battery in use at the time.
Another issue I am having is that with the battery levels set at 10% critical and 20% low arnings on the software, I am seeing critical battery warning alarm at as high as 58%

Any thoughts from the forum please
Regards Mike

NZ ... mmmm cold is not extreme there unless you head for the mountains ...

I suggest that your warming up may be IMU as well as battery. If you keep battery in your inside coat - it should be more than warm enough to fly.

I have a Turnigy LiPo warming sack for real winters - ours go -20C or colder.

33990.jpg

You can run this of your car cigarette lighter socket or a 3S old LiPo ...

One suggestion for anyone who has 'cold' winters and wants to have near instant flight capability is to calibrate the IMU outside IN THE cold.

Take AC out into the cold ... leave it there to get as cold as its surroundings ... then quickly once battery plugged in - calibrate the IMU.

What you have then done is set the cold temperature as the IMU reference point. Next time you go out - as long as battery is warm - it will initialise and fly with very short startup ...

Its safe and well worth doing. (I did mine in -10C and I can literally plug in and fly straight off at that temp ... )

Thanks for the IMU ideas, I have had the batteries in my warm coat pockets and or rub them up on my clothing.
I had just completed an IMU calibration at room temperature , so will now do it in my cold shed!!!
Thank you

RAI,
Beautiful scenery in your avatar. No wonder they film all of the dinosaur movies there. Looks Jurassic, at least what the movies show. Just home to you. Want to see it, never happen. When you find something interesting to film, give us a looksee.

Ok will do , have lots of footage although a bit slack on the video editing!
Me too, lots to learn yet. Film and editing. Oh, and send me a little of your cold, and I will warm the batteries for you. Good luck, have fun, fly safe.

Any dinosaurs, elves, dwarves, maybe King Kong? Heard they all live there. Video or pics greatly appreciated. Take care. We got sharks too!

Last edited:
Reactions: MTO
Thanks Solentlife, just carried out an IMU calibration in the cold downstairs shed, AC started up on a cold battery (without cold temp warming) with only two bars out of four showing power level at 42% and a low level hovered in my front yard until I reached the low level warning at 20% and then critical at 10% when the aircraft auto landed .
So that IMU calibration in the colder climate solved the cold temp warning on start up and the critical battery warning.Great information.
Thanks and regards Mike

Reactions: Capt KO
Ian needs a hug. HUUUG. Feel better?

Thanks again y’all. I’ll know what to do if I ever go fly somewhere frozen. Like that Heron drone video guy in Canada. He always has his batteries in his pocket. Or somewhere down.....

Excuse me, bye. Glad solved

Glad you sort it,I delete my post that said same thing but you show no interest,, won't get my reply again,,done and dusted

Hi Ian .... don't be too fussed about it ... we all get ignored at times.

But please - I often have difficulty reading your posts where you have all words running into each other, no spaces or breaks. Sometimes its really hard to understand what you are trying to say.

Thanks Solentlife, just carried out an IMU calibration in the cold downstairs shed, AC started up on a cold battery (without cold temp warming) with only two bars out of four showing power level at 42% and a low level hovered in my front yard until I reached the low level warning at 20% and then critical at 10% when the aircraft auto landed .
So that IMU calibration in the colder climate solved the cold temp warning on start up and the critical battery warning.Great information.
Thanks and regards Mike

Great news ....

But please - I often have difficulty reading your posts where you have all words running into each other, no spaces or breaks. Sometimes its really hard to understand what you are trying to say.
Man I thought I the only one who has trouble reading what comes out,,ok sorry about that, me and school didn't mix well,no excuse but very dying and meds just spin the head and I forget,,no flying killing me but the VERTIGO is sit down material.i shall do extra effort for comas and full stops but can't promise they be in right spot.;)

Reactions: MTO
Ian needs a hug. HUUUG. Feel better?

Thanks again y’all. I’ll know what to do if I ever go fly somewhere frozen. Like that Heron drone video guy in Canada. He always has his batteries in his pocket. Or somewhere down.....

Excuse me, bye. Glad solved
Cheers for the hug ;)
Self inflicted, sometimes I should just shut up,:rolleyes:;):)

And all the commas. ;-)

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic