Controller Battery Not Fully Charging

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Has anyone had any issues charging the Phantom 3 controller battery? When I first got my new phantom 3 last week, I charged the battery and controller until all the lights went off. When I switched the controller on, only the first 2 white lights were solid and the 3rd was flashing. The 4th light never lit. On checking the app, it said the battery was 70% charged. I used the phantom 3 times, each time recharging the battery and controller and each time only getting 70 charge on the controller.

After the 4th recharge, the controller finally hit full charge with all 4 white lights now showing solid.

Anyone else had the same issue?

Thanks

haven't heard that one before-- maybe something to do with the controller update?? did you do that one on the 1.1.8 upgrade?

I updated the controller and phantom to the latest firmware before my first flight. I will double check the firmware details to make sure the update worked.

Don't worry about it. You don't have, won't have enough batteries to exhaust your controller before you rip through your bird's batteries, so it's moot.

Agreed. I only ever charge my controller while waiting for the battery to cool off after a flight. Never had less than 4 LEDs light up on the controller's battery check.

I am on the latest firmware and have the same "problem". The 4th light flashes for hours and never stops charging or whatever. I just unplugged it and drove on. I guess they have a bug somewhere.

I have the same issue. I didn't notice it until after updating the firmware, so it may or may not be related to the upgrade.

I have the same issue. I didn't notice it until after updating the firmware, so it may or may not be related to the upgrade.
The controller will charge for hours before all the lights go out. Plug it in and let it charge all night.... the next morning if the lights are still flashing, then it may be the battery in the controller bad.

So I throw it on the charger the next time around and it works as intended... very weird. Only took about an hour and all the lights went off, as opposed to previous charge attempts that went hours upon hours when only a 20% top off was required. It seems to have a slight attitude, but hey it's working for now so I won't complain! :rolleyes:

Same problem here. It is over an hour and still charging, but from first light.
Should I let it charge all night or turn it off?
Let it charge. It takes a really long time to charge and it'll shut off once it's done.

Let it charge. It takes a really long time to charge and it'll shut off once it's done.
Thanks! Well, I pulled it off and all lights was on (as charged).
After reading your tip should I put it back on charge and let it charge all night?

Thanks! Well, I pulled it off and all lights was on (as charged).
After reading your tip should I put it back on charge and let it charge all night?
It's not that big a deal. You'll get 30 flights in before you even drain it to 50%. But yeah if you want to.

Reactions: skatemurai
My controller seems to be refusing to charge today.

The lights are indicating charging, and the charger works with the P3 battery so seems to be normal.
Checking controller battery it was at 68% initially.
After SIX HOURS on charge it seemed odd it had not stopped so I checked it again and it's on 64% now.
So I think displaying the LEDs to show 'charging' actually drained it slightly!

Turning it on doesn't help, pushing connector in and out - no change.
When you push in the connector, the LEDs look to indicate charging commenced - but it only lights up across to three rather than four which seems different from before?.
Perhaps running it down some more will let it charge later.
Or it might work in the morning for no obvious reason.

It did remind me of phantom batteries not taking charge until below 70% unless you turn them on.
However I'm sure it topped up OK several times before.

After about 4 or 5 charges, my controller now charges fully and I have not had any issues since. Really enjoying using my P3 advance!

Hi Guys,

Has anyone had any issues charging the Phantom 3 controller battery? When I first got my new phantom 3 last week, I charged the battery and controller until all the lights went off. When I switched the controller on, only the first 2 white lights were solid and the 3rd was flashing. The 4th light never lit. On checking the app, it said the battery was 70% charged. I used the phantom 3 times, each time recharging the battery and controller and each time only getting 70 charge on the controller.

After the 4th recharge, the controller finally hit full charge with all 4 white lights now showing solid.

Anyone else had the same issue?

Thanks
... this is a much larger problem than one might expect ... the fact that you finally achieved a full charge is mostly luck, as the problem seems to be an issue of poor quality soldering on the charge plug, and on occasion a temporary cure come about by plugging it in numerous times and causing a better connection between the charge plug and the charging board ... IF your problem arises in the future, the best and least expensive cure is to just resolver the charging plug to the board, I did and have no more problems, it took about half hour with disassembly, resoldering and reassembly ... cheers

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dragonslair