Control apps updates always lag behind release?

Reaction score
When DJI comes out with a new model aircraft, is there an inevitable lag between that release and when control apps such as Litchi or DroneLink can add that to their software?

Waited a very long time for Litchi to add the Mavic Air 2 only to abandon hope and switch to Drone Link which does support that model. Wondering if the same lag time would apply to the next Phantom version for example? Will begin testing apps with our P4 Pro soon but just trying to get some idea what to expect going forward with respect to development timelines.

When DJI comes out with a new model aircraft, is there an inevitable lag between that release and when control apps such as Litchi or DroneLink can add that to their software?

Waited a very long time for Litchi to add the Mavic Air 2 only to abandon hope and switch to Drone Link which does support that model.
Third party app makers have to wait until DJI release an SDK (software development kit) for a new model drone before they can modify their software to work with the new features of a new drone.
How long that takes can vary, or DJI might decide not to release any.
DroneLink have worked a way around the SDK.
Wondering if the same lag time would apply to the next Phantom version for example?
You would probably be waiting a long time for a new Phantom version to be released.
It's generally believed that DJI aren't going to release a Phantom 5.
But who really knows?
Maybe they'll surprise us all one day?
Will begin testing apps with our P4 Pro soon but just trying to get some idea what to expect going forward with respect to development timelines.
The P4 pro came out >4 years ago and is a mature product (and a really good drone).
DJI aren't likely to be making any changes that affect it in the near future.

Over in the Mavic forum, Dave from Arizona made the observation the US government's disapproval of the close ties between Chinese drone makers like DJI and the Chinese government COULD be the death knell with regards to automated flight capabilities for new Chinese drone designs.

If that turns out to be the case, auto-flight aficionados like myself will find ourselves relegated to using older platforms like the existing Phantom line, and the first generation Mavic Pro series, which are compatible with Litchi, and hopefully will remain so until the cows come home.

You would probably be waiting a long time for a new Phantom version to be released.
It's generally believed that DJI aren't going to release a Phantom 5.
But who really knows?
Maybe they'll surprise us all one day?

Thanks for the input Meta. Since I left the Phantom line for 3DR years ago-- a move I would come to regret (!)-- I haven't kept up with the speculation related to Phantoms.

Currently using Mavic Air 2 and while quite satisfied, considering options long term.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stovebayen