Thread closed

Hi have used ground station to program a course across a farm to check all the water troughs. Common problem is animals damaging the ball **** causing the trough to overflow and flood the surrounding area. Farmers know that they have a problem when the pumps are running continuously, and it is a real drag driving/walking around the farm to find the culprit.
Cheers,
Rob.

You have been contacted by dji to learn about farming???
There is already a fully operational industry in uav flying with Flir cameras for the past few years. I think dji contacted the wrong farmer?

I think you are spoofing. Please post the letter that dji sent you. Why would they ask your expertise? And then with your expertise which is private confidential tests would you not know and ask our dumbasses?

Agricultural use of drones is expected to be huge. Crop dusting, yield, outbreaks, etc. Already happening in limited cases outside the US.

I live in a heavily Ag area, from cattle to corn, cotton, maze and wheat. Some suggestions I've been getting is to do overhead shots of crops seeing which sections might need more water if they are doing wet-land farming and overall wellness of different sections. Finding lost live-stock has even been another recommendation.

Regards,
J.

Probably far from farming, per se, but hog eradication is a very real need on large west Texas ranches - I've been playing with the idea of box-grid aerial searching for damaged root/plant areas to find pig-patterns so we can more effectively hunt them later (using thermal scopes and i2 optics). Record video over acres at a time, then view in fast-motion to find feeding/water routes.

I suspect when I finally save up and buy my own (hey, someone should remind my wife that my birthday is this month...) my buddies and I, who have a big annual pig slaying get together each March, will probably at least be making some fun hog hunting videos that incorporate drone footage.

BTW, I saw your video when you posted it a few weeks ago - I thought your first video was really well produced and executed with a purpose: a nice break from the zillions of vids of phantoms just going up and doing nothing. :)

I farm/We have two units.The last one is a Plus.Great units,alot of uses on the farm.The problem is service.I don,t have a lot of time to keep them in the air.A great well thought of product that can be used in agri.Just no service. :x

I'm also interested in this topic being in the heart of North Central Kansas farm country. Mostly dryland farming but some irrigation along the Solomon Valley. With current cattle prices the quick locating of newborn livestock would be a good use of the quadcopter.

I've just been reading over my posts from last night because it was just pointed out to me by the Admin. I wish to apologise for my comments, they were completely out of order and if I offended anyone including the OP I unreservedly apologise for any offence I may have caused. Sorry, my bad, wont happen again.

Very interesting video! I live in North Central Indiana, and unlike Texas where everything is bigger, everything here is smaller. My house is kind of like a park that's sounded by a sea of corn, and tho it boggles the mind to see the endless amounts of corn being grown here, I understand we produce less than 1% of the nation's total corn crop.

We watch our farmers here much like you'd watch a mad uncle, and I've noticed a lot of them digging wells (we have a very large supply of underground water here) which is a little concerning because they've never felt the need before. I have not noticed much in the way of interest in agricultural science, BUT I have seen some of our farmers planting the same as in your video, so they must be catching on.

I've really never thought about flying over one of the fields, but I'm gonna give it a shot. I'm interested in what could be learned.

Omaha representing, nice to see! Here is my idea, although a little far out there. Trudging to the center pivot in the middle of July on a farm in SW Nebraska as a kid was a miserable thing. I have been brainstorming though, could a wifi equipped center pivot be used and flyovers then gather that data...low oil levels, stuck pivot, etc. I know, this could be accomplished with a cellular connection but just an idea.

Outside of that, how about checking in on livestock. Calving season could see huge benefits. And checking water levels on water tanks, much easier. I am not sure if you have seen some of the new kickstarter quads that claim to have person tracking but possibly the same thing could be done with a cow known to have calving problems are calving time. You would just need a lot more flight time.

How about tracking loose livestock. And, last but not least in my book, herding cattle!

swtc said:
BTW, I saw your video when you posted it a few weeks ago - I thought your first video was really well produced and executed with a purpose: a nice break from the zillions of vids of phantoms just going up and doing nothing. :)

That exactly what I thought when I saw those videos. You forget that you're watching aerial footage from a DJI Phantom and you get caught by a short documentary that has something interesting to tell. Not every Phantom owner can go that far and, for myself, I still need to learn a lot before being able to reach such a great result.

Maher

Used responsibly, it’s hard to imagine any industry where the use of aerial imagery would not be beneficial, especially farming and agricultural operations.

Since the beginning of time man has longed to fly. I believe so he can get above it all and try to make sense of what he can’t see from the ground, to gain a new perspective on what he lays claim to and to make decisions about his future.

Given the size of today’s farms, I’d imagine monitoring the health of the crop once plants is difficult without a great amount of time in the field and spot surveys? I’d imagine having the ability to take an aerial survey looking for signs of distress, damage, pollution run off and the like would be quite beneficial and allow the farmer to take action much quicker and likely with the ability to mitigate their potential loss.

As an insurance adjuster, my company uses our DJI Phantom 2 for aerial images of accident scenes and damage evaluation of buildings where access may be difficult, unsafe and in some cases almost impossible. Our clients have found the images provide better insight into the claim and allow them to make better decisions. Your video on the pivot system damage is a perfect example. From the ground, it’s difficult to demonstrate the magnitude and scope of the damage.

I’d think the farmer of today would embrace this technology. They are already a technology skilled profession and certainly not afraid to embrace new technology. The more we can do to get this technology into the hands of people using them responsibly, the faster and better they will be developed as society sees them as a tool, not a secret device used for spying eyes.

Good luck and very well done.

OP, nice vids.

I am not using my bird for agri, but I think that the benefits would be substantial. You asked for feedback, so here it is.

Use of IR or other filters or cameras to:

- view outbreak and address before spread - utilizing comparative data from multiple flights with same path
- monitor soil aridity and over time with multiple overlaid imagery, make levelling adjustments where appropriate
-identify 'rogue' crops - as many police agencies already do - this is a safety concern for farmers
-identify waterlogged areas after rain storms to make adjustments to drainage

All of the above would be simple to execute, and increase nominal crop yields. Quite frankly, I see a monster business opportunity here and had similar thoughts a few years ago while living in a more agriculturally significant locale. The capabilities of RC crafts have since grown dramatically. While this forum is dedicated to multirotors, I suspect that winged units, or tilt rotors would be better suited with the ability to cover much larger distances in the same timeframe with a multi rotor dispatched for nimble quicker looks at problems uncovered through parsing of the data supplied by the faster crafts.

The above could also be applied to livestock - monitoring aspects of large herd health.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl