Compass Calibration

Reaction score
Since you have to flip the right switch 5-10 times to calibrate the compass - EVERY TIME before you fly in a different location, how long will it be before the right switch breaks? There MUST BE another way to do this - can you please tell me the preferred way. If the preferred method is constantly switching the right switch, everyone should have a "back up" switch in their arsenal. How reliable is this switch?

There are reports of these switches failing here. But it is difficult to say how much of a problem it is overall since we don't know the numbers. Replacement switches are available at many electronics distributors and replacement is easy if you have soldering skills. If you don't it's easy to learn and this type of repair is very basic in terms of soldering.

There are numerous debates about the frequency of calibrating though. The manual is vague and many wish for more definitive guidelines. Myself, I've calibrated three times, twice out-of-the-box (to be sure I did it right) and once after replacing the stock control system with a Futaba T10J system. I have since traveled as much as 600 miles from home without the need to recalibrate but I must disclose that it really comes down to local conditions which for me happren to not be an issue.YMMV.

The safe thing to say is if you begin modifying your Phantom ALWAYS calibrate after adding, removing, or relocating equipment or accessories on or within the quad. The main reason for calibration is to compensate for magnetic 'disturbances' caused by near-by objects on your quad. Local conditions can also play a role in this but if you think about it the conditions at the point or place of calibration may be vastly different then when your flying hundreds or thousands of feet away and above the place of calibration.

I rely on a quick stability and tracking test immediately after take-off to determine if calibration is necessary. So far the only time I noticed a problem was after removing the DJI receiver and installing the Futaba receiver.

Again, YMMV.

Chicago1 said:
Since you have to flip the right switch 5-10 times to calibrate the compass - EVERY TIME before you fly in a different location, how long will it be before the right switch breaks? There MUST BE another way to do this - can you please tell me the preferred way. If the preferred method is constantly switching the right switch, everyone should have a "back up" switch in their arsenal. How reliable is this switch?

I know most people say to do it, but honestly I don't do a compass cali unless I travel to a significantly different part of the country/world. For example: I move between NYC, Boston, Maine and Western MA and just fly without calibrating the compass and I've never had a problem.

However when I travel back to Atlanta or california, I do a compass cali.

anyway, take that for what it's worth (not much) :)

N017RW said:
I must disclose that it really comes down to local conditions which for me happren to not be an issue.YMMV.

The safe thing to say is if you begin modifying your Phantom ALWAYS calibrate after adding, removing, or relocating equipment or accessories on or within the quad. The main reason for calibration is to compensate for magnetic 'disturbances' caused by near-by objects on your quad. Local conditions can also play a role in this but if you think about it the conditions at the point or place of calibration may be vastly different then when your flying hundreds or thousands of feet away and above the place of calibration.

I rely on a quick stability and tracking test immediately after take-off to determine if calibration is necessary.

completely agree with all this

I always calibrate through the app instead of flipping the switch. I feel that is unneeded cycling of that switch.

gcbuss said:
I always calibrate through the app instead of flipping the switch. I feel that is unneeded cycling of that switch.
Narrator said:
You can start the compass calibration from the phone app.

you guys are correct, but remember we're in the General Forum and the OP didn't specify so he might be running a non-Vision series P2. The app only works with the Vision series but for a Vision you're absolutely right use the app if you don't want to be flicking the switch

... or don't treat the switch angry like it just insulted your girlfriend

I've calibrated my compass twice. Once when receiving the Phantom and once when adding the gimbal and Hero camera.
All the compass does it tell the main controller which way to turn to get to the next waypoint. (Your Phantom always has two waypoints - the current location and the home point.) To determine if your compass needs calibration, set your home point, fly out a couple of hundred feet, then RTH. If your Phantom flies straight home, then your compass is OK. If it takes a curved route then your compass may need calibrating.

Best Answer: "I always calibrate through the app instead of flipping the switch. I feel that is unneeded cycling of that switch."

If you are using the app I realized that the new checklist has as step 6 calibrate which is a link to the compass calibration screen. Nice feature. I will probably start using the checklist just as a reminder since I do calibrate before most flights.

SteveMann said:
I've calibrated my compass twice. Once when receiving the Phantom and once when adding the gimbal and Hero camera.
All the compass does it tell the main controller which way to turn to get to the next waypoint. (Your Phantom always has two waypoints - the current location and the home point.) To determine if your compass needs calibration, set your home point, fly out a couple of hundred feet, then RTH. If your Phantom flies straight home, then your compass is OK. If it takes a curved route then your compass may need calibrating.

You should know better, Steve! Don't wait until your in the air to test your equipment.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl