Chula Vista Police Drones using Litchi ?

Reaction score
Just saw this Yahoo news story about the Chula Vista, California police department sending fully autonomous drones to crime scenes, or to loiter above fleeing suspects eyes in the sky coordinating ground responses. One wonders if the Chula Vista police Department is using Litchi to plan drone flights on short notice for rapid launches, as events dictate.

Their drones are pricey at $35K, even with megabucks camera gear aboard, but for that price, night vision equipment would be standard. I wonder how long it will be before police drones can be used to deploy less-than-lethal ahem, corrective measures, to subdue clients picked out by facial recognition scanners.

The good old days of getting away with a few minutes of illegal parking, are probably behind us now, as more police departments choose far cheaper drone swarms, in preference over manned aircraft.

Programming a flight using Litchi is not quite an emergency response. They utilize technology similar to what the military is using. They have full control at all times.

Cities are using drones more and more these days.

Reactions: DanDiego
Programming a flight using Litchi is not quite an emergency response. They utilize technology similar to what the military is using. They have full control at all times.

Cities are using drones more and more these days.

Won't be long before we hear about a police drone arresting a trespassing civilian drone mid-flight he he.

Just saw this Yahoo news story about the Chula Vista, California police department sending fully autonomous drones to crime scenes, or to loiter above fleeing suspects eyes in the sky coordinating ground responses. One wonders if the Chula Vista police Department is using Litchi to plan drone flights on short notice for rapid launches, as events dictate.

Their drones are pricey at $35K, even with megabucks camera gear aboard, but for that price, night vision equipment would be standard. I wonder how long it will be before police drones can be used to deploy less-than-lethal ahem, corrective measures, to subdue clients picked out by facial recognition scanners.

The good old days of getting away with a few minutes of illegal parking, are probably behind us now, as more police departments choose far cheaper drone swarms, in preference over manned aircraft.
This is my local police department. I was unaware until reading this article, that their authority covers not only Chula Vista, but most of San Diego and its surrounding area down to the border. I’ve not seen the large drones yet, but when the program was first introduced they were flying the Skydio 2.

There is an advisory that is issued on Airmap when flying close to Chula Vista notifying all pilots of impending flight training. It’s not much of an inconvenience, as there are many parts of SD where the skies are either closed or very limited due to the marines, navy and/or hospitals. The joys of living in a military town that also supports a Class B airport.

Reactions: Billie Nelson
The jet jockeys from the Miramar Top Gun School, and the aviators flying out of Coronado's Naval Air Station, would not take kindly to pesky drones invading their airspace, so there must be a detailed agreement with the police in these matters.

Interesting article. Was surprised when they said they were using DJI along with the US made drones. Wonder which ones were overheating.

Saw your post and thought I would chime in. I was happy to see CVPD get some national recognition for putting in the work and research on how to safely implement Drones in their DFR program. The initiative is doing great things for public safety as well as for the drone community. Having knowledge of the program I can tell you that they do not use Litchi. They're using Motorola Aerial Suite. For some behind the scenes info on the program and for a glimpse into the control room for their operations you can check out the video on the CVPD website. I think what they have accomplished in the areas of regulations and safety is great for all drone users and the general public as well. You can see the video here:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:
Thanks so much for posting this video clip, Taah1. The future of law enforcement is indeed here. The benefits of small silent drones over noisy manned helicopters are numerous, ranging from cost effectiveness, to stealth, to personnel and public safety. That command center with the gigantic high resolution screen is every drone pilot's dream, for sure.

I recall a few years back when two police helicopters collided in the LA area during a vehicular chase. Now that drones are equipped with omnidirectional obstacle avoidance sensors, the risk of such aerial mishaps is all but eliminated, no matter how hectic the pursuit. From the suspects standpoint, there is almost no point in looking skyward to spot those small surveillance craft, because they become virtually invisible at altitudes over 100 feet. This is not a good time to be a fleeing suspect in the San Diego area ha ha.

Thanks so much for posting this video clip, Taah1. The future of law enforcement is indeed here. The benefits of small silent drones over noisy manned helicopters are numerous, ranging from cost effectiveness, to stealth, to personnel and public safety. That command center with the gigantic high resolution screen is every drone pilot's dream, for sure.

I recall a few years back when two police helicopters collided in the LA area during a vehicular chase. Now that drones are equipped with omnidirectional obstacle avoidance sensors, the risk of such aerial mishaps is all but eliminated, no matter how hectic the pursuit. From the suspects standpoint, there is almost no point in looking skyward to spot those small surveillance craft, because they become virtually invisible at altitudes over 100 feet. This is not a good time to be a fleeing suspect in the San Diego area ha ha.
You're welcome. And yes...since seeing that command center I've been dreaming of having a setup like that some day. Really cool stuff!

Reactions: Billie Nelson

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31