Chicago’s new misinformed law.

Reaction score
Chicago’s drone law pits residents’ privacy concerns against hobbyists looking for a place to fly - Chicago Sun-Times

Another badly written drone ordnance by stupid city officials who don’t understand how the laws work in the United States.

Chicago’s ordinance bans flying near O’Hare and Midway airports, over schools, hospitals, open-air stadiums, police stations, places of worship and directly over any person or private property without permission.
When will the stupidity stop?

Sounds like the law of the land. Same in a little city like mine.
It is not "the law of the land". The city has NO authority over where you can fly. That is the purview of the FAA, the city can make laws about where you can take off and land, but NEVER over what you can fly.
They are mistaken and will be sued.
It's funny how quickly most Americans will just give up their rights and let "authorities" kick them around.

It's funny how quickly most Americans will just give up their rights and let "authorities" kick them around.

Danderd "hit it on the head" regarding not giving up our freedoms needlessly. I was driving down a rural dirt road to fly and get shots of a river dam. I was stopped by a uniformed fella from the river and irrigation authority. He informed me the river was closed due to the high fire danger, then noticing my drone in the car, said, "And I better not catch you flying that drone near the river, so get out of here - now." I politely said I was on a county road that had no signs or barriers indicating the area was closed, nor are there any FAA flight restrictions in this area. He said, "Do I need to call the Sheriff?" I politely said, "Yes, you do, because you have no law enforcement authority." He said, "Well, just be careful to not start any fires with that thing," got in his truck and left. An example of a self-appointed Deputy Dawg trying to exercise authority strictly by intimidation. Just because they wear a uniform means nothing.

Obviously, we need to fly legally and be respectful to those who confront us, but also be aware of who has legal authority and those who don't. If a dispute, call law enforcement. Most similar stories on this forum where the police were called were ruled in the drone pilots favor for not breaking any laws and free to exercise their hobby. There's no broken law just because you irritated someone from their point of view.

....... Most similar stories on this forum where the police were called were ruled in the drone pilots favor for not breaking any laws and free to exercise their hobby. There's no broken law just because you irritated someone from their point of view.

That's not the best way to determine the probability of outcome from an interaction with an officer of the law.

That's like saying, "Don't buy a DJI Phantom because most of the people who come to this forum have a problem with theirs."

People don't come here (usually) to brag about getting fined and arrested just like they don't (usually) come here to brag about what a great flying and reliable aircraft the DJI Phantom series are. It's the nature of the forums for people of a like mind (having problems or going against The Man and winning). I would not base my wallet or freedom on the statistics on a Support type forum.

There's no broken law just because you irritated someone from their point of view.
Keep in mind po-po can and have created a fines based on something vague if they get even mildly irritated. Breach of the peace for instance.
Not suggesting folding under pressure. Just respect of authority

When I was in Chicago this year for AUVSI EXPO I printed out the actual Chicago ordinance just in case I was able to fly. I took my M2P, but the weather and schedule prevented me from flying. It's actually still in my Policy and Procedure manual. I noticed it Sunday when I did the same thing with the Denver ordinance since I was flying downtown.

But having those printed out and with me will prevent issues from escalating.

And if there ever is an issue, immediately tell the officer that you think they're incorrect (don't use the word "wrong") and you'd like to talk with their Sgt or Lt.

That's the best way to handle these.

You should also print out a few of these. I carry LEAP cards in my truck at all times to hand out to and officer I see who has questions.

You can find those here: https://www.faa.gov/uas/public_safety_gov/media/law_enforcement_drone_card.pdf

And if there ever is an issue, immediately tell the officer that you think they're incorrect (don't use the word "wrong") and you'd like to talk with their Sgt or Lt.

You should also print out a few of these. I carry LEAP cards in my truck at all times to hand out to and officer I see who has questions.

You can find those here: https://www.faa.gov/uas/public_safety_gov/media/law_enforcement_drone_card.pdf

This 100%!

I have a copy of my drone registration in each of my cases and Virginia drone ordinance printed on the other side. Much faster than fumbling through my phone trying to pull it up.

It is not "the law of the land". The city has NO authority over where you can fly. That is the purview of the FAA, the city can make laws about where you can take off and land, but NEVER over what you can fly.
I agree with what you're saying; however, who's going to sue them? If you're personally affected, I'd contact the state AG office and the FAA and list your concerns.

That's not the best way to determine the probability of outcome from an interaction with an officer of the law.

That's like saying, "Don't buy a DJI Phantom because most of the people who come to this forum have a problem with theirs."

People don't come here (usually) to brag about getting fined and arrested just like they don't (usually) come here to brag about what a great flying and reliable aircraft the DJI Phantom series are. It's the nature of the forums for people of a like mind (having problems or going against The Man and winning). I would not base my wallet or freedom on the statistics on a Support type forum.
NM-quad is right onn all points . first it wasn't a sheriff and even if it was WE have rights as citizens and any law enforcement , or river Authority does not have aright to infringe on our rights . if no laws are being broken . up to the drone operator to know this then one must stand their ground .

Reactions: Basspig
Keep in mind po-po can and have created a fines based on something vague if they get even mildly irritated. Breach of the peace for instance.
Not suggesting folding under pressure. Just respect of authority
They may try and crate a fine on something vague, but it would never pass mustard in court where anyone would go if they got a fine for anything off the wall. just because an officer got irritated does not mean they can make up stuff

Reactions: Basspig
When I was in Chicago this year for AUVSI EXPO I printed out the actual Chicago ordinance just in case I was able to fly. I took my M2P, but the weather and schedule prevented me from flying. It's actually still in my Policy and Procedure manual. I noticed it Sunday when I did the same thing with the Denver ordinance since I was flying downtown.

Hi Moss- Where did you find the "Chicago Ordinance" to print out? Or can you send me a copy? I live here, but have a hard time finding any actual concrete regs to see and refer to....

Well- this is not encouraging. I shoot both for real estate and for a company that does school websites. Every (almost) public school in Chicago is nestled in residential neighborhoods. To get views of the whole school property there's no way to avoid flying above residential properties and it would be impossible to get permission of every homeowner in the area surrounding a school.

And often I am within 5 miles of either Midway Airport or O'Hare - and of course as a Part 107 license holder I obey all FAA regs & rules, and apply for Authorizations before each job where needed.

But this ordinance seems to say that no matter what, Id have to satisfy the Chicago rules and get permission of every home or business near a job that I might pass over.
And forget about flying near or over a park or looks like most of the lakefront.
There also is nothing here about Part 107 flying - only the old 333 Exemption, which is pretty much defunct now.

Now that I go back over it - this Ordinance is dated July 29, 2015.
A lot has happened since then.....

Well, certain things are just common sense.
• A stadium? Thousands of people with no protection. If it goes down, someone's going to be injured.
• Police Station? Well, they're weird about that stuff. Why rile 'em up? Same as a Nat'l Guard place where they park their toys.
• Airports. That's been ruled out already.
• Hospitals. Many have helicopters coming in and out. Sort of fits into the Airport rule.
• Places of worship? No idea why not. I agree, that's a dumb one. Probably because someone bitched.

As for lakefront and such, if you're standing there with a camera, then flying there with one shouldn't be any different. There is no expectation of privacy in an open place like that. In fact, you could be more of a "weirdo" taking pix with a long lens on your SLR than with a 'copter.

Reactions: JSKCKNIT
NM-quad is right onn all points . first it wasn't a sheriff and even if it was WE have rights as citizens and any law enforcement , or river Authority does not have aright to infringe on our rights . if no laws are being broken . up to the drone operator to know this then one must stand their ground .
It is always best to know the laws and the territory. Printouts are great. I have done a lot of metal detecting. I would print out an assessor’s map of an area that I was going to do some lengthy detecting in. It showed property owners, right a ways and public land. I metal detected a site where an old train station was. I respect authority, but this officer told me I had to leave. The area was vacant and had places where trash was dumped. He just wanted to chase me out and make his job easier. I told him I was on a public road.(It looked like a quad runner path) called Magnolia st.( There were no signs) I could tell him ever properly owners name and I showed him my map. I then ask what law am I breaking? I also told him I would leave , but I was going straight to his supervisor. Guess what, I had all my facts down and the only thing he could say is don’t dump any trash. I loved showing him my bag where everything I dig up I keep and most of it was trash. I did find some nice large cents and a beautiful 1908 Canadian quarter.
They will chase you out of national forestfor metal detecting also. They took a 1979 law and bent it all out of shape. I have a print out for that one also. I am searching for minerals. I can dig a gold mine in the middle of a national forest but I’m not allowed to dig a 6 inch hole if I’m looking for a coin. I started panning for gold back in the 70’s.

How much gold have you found?
I did it on and off, but I have less than 2 pounds. Don’t care to really say. Lol I do better metal detecting. I have a nice collection of rings. Gold is good to have, if you can get it. Trump wants us to go back on the gold system. When we did that before, they made it illegal to own gold. Ginseng is good to collect also. It can turn into gold.?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic