Carbon Fiber Blades

Reaction score
I saw a phantom 3 on Craigslist with "carbon Fiber" blades and he stated that it makes it have a faster overall speed and acceleration. Is this the same for the P4?

I saw a phantom 3 on Craigslist with "carbon Fiber" blades and he stated that it makes it have a faster overall speed and acceleration. Is this the same for the P4?
It's the same for the P4- you can't have greater speed.... maximum speed is limited by the pitch iof the AC, the flight controller will not allow it to exceed a given value no matter what props you run.

It's the prop profile and dimensions that decide the torque-speed characteristics and it's not the material. Material only makes them flexible or rigid.

Reactions: OOO
So there's no way to in trade acceleration and top speed, I figured it would be too good to be true otherwise, everyone would be doing it!

I see it this way, lets say you just get some faster acceleration, this will generate more stress load on your craft and some P4's are already showing some stress cracks. Do you really want to load stress them more?

Reactions: skellyrocker
It's the same for the P4- you can't have greater speed.... maximum speed is limited by the pitch iof the AC, the flight controller will not allow it to exceed a given value no matter what props you run.

Sorry boss, I have to disagree, my boat has power props for pulling tubes and skiers wakeboard and all that. I also have speed props that can go up to 25 mph above the power props. Same motor, different torque and speeds. I think alok is pretty accurate in his statement above.I edited this to add, I also had cf props for my P4. They were from drone world, my bird flew about a block before the power of the craft snapped a prop. I think DJI allows for flex in the stock props to allow for this. I would like to see titanium props with variable pitches on brushless motors that lock on impact to prevent esc or motor damage like used on odyssey star fall racing drones. Another edit, after snapping a cf prop I broke one with my bare hand and it snapped easy, I did the same with a stock DJI prop and it flexed a ton before snapping.
Edited added video comparison. Cf vs DJI props.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:
It's a well known fact that anything CF will increase performance of anything by 1000%. However, CF decals will only increase it by 100%. So buyer beware.

It's a well known fact that anything CF will increase performance of anything by 1000%. However, CF decals will only increase it by 100%. So buyer beware.

With a lifetime guarantee or 50ft whichever comes first.

Sorry boss, I have to disagree, my boat has power props for pulling tubes and skiers wakeboard and all that. I also have speed props that can go up to 25 mph above the power props. Same motor, different torque and speeds.
Your boat's speed is only determined by the props and how fast they spin.
How fast they spin is up to you.
The angle of tilt is more important determining the speed of the Phantom.
And it has a computerised flight controller that controls tilt angle and motor speed.
Change prop specs and the flight controller will adjust things to keep the Phantom flight parameters the same.
I also had cf props for my P4. They were from drone world, my bird flew about a block before the power of the craft snapped a prop.
That sounds like a faulty CF prop rather than the power of the Phantom.

b4626bd53e34d999000eb3c479d38764.jpg

Reactions: SteelWarrior
Your boat's speed is only determined by the props and how fast they spin.
How fast they spin is up to you.
The angle of tilt is more important determining the speed of the Phantom.
And it has a computerised flight controller that controls tilt angle and motor speed.
Change prop specs and the flight controller will adjust things to keep the Phantom flight parameters the same.

That sounds like a faulty CF prop rather than the power of the Phantom.

You remind me of an Xbox, just do a 360 and walk away dude.

Oh man.. I didn't mean to start any craziness!

I think titanium blades would be interesting however..

Sorry boss, I have to disagree, my boat has power props for pulling tubes and skiers wakeboard and all that. I also have speed props that can go up to 25 mph above the power props. Same motor, different torque and speeds. I think alok is pretty accurate in his statement above.I edited this to add, I also had cf props for my P4. They were from drone world, my bird flew about a block before the power of the craft snapped a prop. I think DJI allows for flex in the stock props to allow for this. I would like to see titanium props with variable pitches on brushless motors that lock on impact to prevent esc or motor damage like used on odyssey star fall racing drones. Another edit, after snapping a cf prop I broke one with my bare hand and it snapped easy, I did the same with a stock DJI prop and it flexed a ton before snapping.
Edited added video comparison. Cf vs DJI props.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
In my younger days the big pipes and straight through mufflers gave all my V8 powered vehicles significantly more power- had to be true- I could tell by the engine note. Fact is dyno runs demonstrated in most cases I lost power (lucky turbo diesels don't have the same issue and louder and smokies is better). The point is subjective observations are meaningless, people talking about "crispness" and other meaningless terms dont mean much.

I have no doubt you can get better performance with a prop change on your boat. Decent CF props on my RC heli's make a big difference over woodies or straight GF. They may no difference on the phantom for max speed. The reason is simple as I stated earlier. Speed is principally determined by attitude (pitch angle). A prop capable of greater thrust on the bench (yes I have no doubt they exist) will still mean the flight controller operates to limit maximum pitch. You wont go faster.

In my younger days the big pipes and straight through mufflers gave all my V8 powered vehicles significantly more power- had to be true- I could tell by the engine note. Fact is dyno runs demonstrated in most cases I lost power (lucky turbo diesels don't have the same issue and louder and smokies is better). The point is subjective observations are meaningless, people talking about "crispness" and other meaningless terms dont mean much.

I have no doubt you can get better performance with a prop change on your boat. Decent CF props on my RC heli's make a big difference over woodies or straight GF. They may no difference on the phantom for max speed. The reason is simple as I stated earlier. Speed is principally determined by attitude (pitch angle). A prop capable of greater thrust on the bench (yes I have no doubt they exist) will still mean the flight controller operates to limit maximum pitch. You wont go faster.

I have to disagree, maybe it's my lack of knowledge. A quad at max power goes lets say 45 mph in a calm environment, let's toss a tailwind on it at 20 mph. Means the flight controller operates its pitch. So it gains no speed with a tailwind because the flight controller limits its speed. So in your theory a quad with a 20 mph tailwind can't go over 45 mph and vice versa a headwind the flight controller makes it go 45 mph even with a 20 mph headwind.

I have to disagree, maybe it's my lack of knowledge. A quad at max power goes lets say 45 mph in a calm environment, let's toss a tailwind on it at 20 mph. Means the flight controller operates its pitch. So it gains no speed with a tailwind because the flight controller limits its speed. So in your theory a quad with a 20 mph tailwind can't go over 45 mph and vice versa a headwind the flight controller makes it go 45 mph even with a 20 mph headwind.
No- the tailwind will provide for a higher ground speed just as it will for any AC. If you lean on the elevator to command max speed the AC will assume the max available pitch angle (as set by the flight controller). Your actual ground speed will be max AC design speed plus prevailing tail wind speed. So to use your numbers 65 mph with tail wind and 25mph with headwind (realative ground speed).

No- the tailwind will provide for a higher ground speed just as it will for any AC. If you lean on the elevator to command max speed the AC will assume the max available pitch angle (as set by the flight controller). Your actual ground speed will be max AC design speed plus prevailing tail wind speed. So to use your numbers 65 mph with tail wind and 25mph with headwind (realative ground speed).

One thing I find on in the physics of drones and we we are talking about is a staircase climb. You go forward full speed and then pull back on the stick to climb, it launchs up but quickly starts to go backwards which I usually spin a slow 360 to make it still climb. What's your insight to this phenomenon. I am stumped.

One thing I find on in the physics of drones and we we are talking about is a staircase climb. You go forward full speed and then pull back on the stick to climb, it launchs up but quickly starts to go backwards which I usually spin a slow 360 to make it still climb. What's your insight to this phenomenon. I am stumped.

You would pull back on the stick to slow down/fly backwards, to climb would require increased throttle input- you are stumped because you are trying to find a solution to a problem that doesn't exist. The best guess I can make is your are trying to relate performance characteristics of fixed wing AC to multirotors. With sufficient velocity you could climb your imaginary staircase with no rotors operating with a fixed wing AC.

You would pull back on the stick to slow down/fly backwards, to climb would require increased throttle input- you are stumped because you are trying to find a solution to a problem that doesn't exist. The best guess I can make is your are trying to relate performance characteristics of fixed wing AC to multirotors. With sufficient velocity you could climb your imaginary staircase with no rotors operating with a fixed wing AC.

I was a trainer t38 talon, I train Lear jet pilots for companies now.

Last edited:
You have a lot of knowledge you can relate to multirotors then, get one and fly it- will all make sense to you very quickly.

I have 2 P4 2 p3s several race drones, a DJI hexacopter a yuneec hexcopter a yuneec breeze and 3 inspires. I am also a gulf vet who is about to crash from my xanax. Nice talking to ya mate. Thanks to you and all others for the input, imo I would not use cf props. They look cool, but the break easy.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers