Canadian Recreational Flyers

Reaction score
So it seems soon that you will need insurance to fly a drone recreationally in Canada.
So what’s your plan?
I’m seriously considering leaving the hobby behind. I fly in wilderness areas, and not very often, I just do not get the time. So I’m not sure it worth the money to take the training, then pay 400 plus dollars so I do not injure a wayward hiker or a lonely tree.
Or I could decide to go commercial, I’m a photojournalist so there is that avenue.

Confused and trying to decide! [emoji15]

So it seems soon that you will need insurance to fly a drone recreationally in Canada.
So what’s your plan?
I’m seriously considering leaving the hobby behind. I fly in wilderness areas, and not very often, I just do not get the time. So I’m not sure it worth the money to take the training, then pay 400 plus dollars so I do not injure a wayward hiker or a lonely tree.
Or I could decide to go commercial, I’m a photojournalist so there is that avenue.

Confused and trying to decide!
emoji15.png
I'm thinking the insurance should become much lower
So what’s your plan?

Confused and trying to decide! [emoji15]
I think insurance will be much lower than 400. The minimum liabilty insurance will likely be 100K.
Several million is about a grand.
For most recreation pilots, it should be a simple online test, not exntensive training( tho this can't hurt)
To go commercial is going to cost much more than recreational and you do need more training , tons of documentation, etc.
If your not flying for any kind of work, I would think recreational will be fine.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl