Can you have Too many batteries?

Reaction score
I just got my phantom and I'm totally hooked. I got 5 batteries when I first bought it. I think I want to get like 10 more. Is that crazy? I don't get a chance to drive out to the nearest field and fly the phantom around, so when I do get a chance, 40 minutes of flight time just isn't enough........Right now, I'm just using the GoPro,no gimble(yet).
Does anyone have more then 10 batteries in their reserve?

brightside said:
I just got my phantom and I'm totally hooked. I got 5 batteries when I first bought it. I think I want to get like 10 more. Is that crazy? I don't get a chance to drive out to the nearest field and fly the phantom around, so when I do get a chance, 40 minutes of flight time just isn't enough........Right now, I'm just using the GoPro,no gimble(yet).
Does anyone have more then 10 batteries in their reserve?

I really do wonder just how many batteries the average flyer has.

I've got 7, ..but then stepped up to a larger quad that flies for much longer (so I have only 4 batteries for it)

So how many Gopro battery block have you got to keep filming. I got a 2nd from DX with a charger for 12v/240v, can't fault the 2nd block works as good as gopro, charge slow on 12v side.

The field where I fly has a solar powered charging station which allows us to charge batteries on the spot. :p

We paid for it out of our yearly club dues. Beats the hell out of lugging tons of batteries around and trying to keep track of how many times x battery has been recharged, flown etc. The cost to me for the yearly dues was about the price of one battery.

I was going to have 2 x 2200 on racks outside and have a small 1000maH inside to power the gimbel is that a sound setup ? I've also bought carbon props ( 9 x 5 )

Graham

I have 5 phantom 2200mah packs plus 4 others but they are too big for the in-body compatment ans so are used in pairs external to the body.

I too am about to move up to bigger stuff and have bought two batteries for the new kit though i know i will ned more.

Just what does the word 'enough' mean????

J

I have 6 for the Phantom, but they will also be used to power my ground station on my TBS Discovery. Figured I really don't need any more than that. Having a good 12v charger makes it easier to recharge them out in the field, so I never have an empty battery.

I have a 150W power inverter for my car. Could that be used to charge the phantom batteries? Or would it hurt the batteries?

I have 1 stock phantom 2200 battery, 4 Turnigy 45-70c 2200mah, 2 Storm 30c 2700mah and just got 5 Zippy flightmax 2800's

I have only tried a few of the Zippy's as weather has been pretty poor here lately, the Storm are my preferred batt with flight times pretty much the same as the Zippy but an easier fit. The Zippy has pretty much no extra room to fit the plugs in but it can just get in there somehow :mrgreen: and it weighs 226g v 198g for the storm that fits much easier.

where can I buy a 12v portable charger?

BruceTS said:
I have 6 for the Phantom, but they will also be used to power my ground station on my TBS Discovery. Figured I really don't need any more than that. Having a good 12v charger makes it easier to recharge them out in the field, so I never have an empty battery.

Won`t that be too much weight for the phantom? sounds like a good idea. Why not use 2 2700 batteries instead?

weavo1956 said:
I was going to have 2 x 2200 on racks outside and have a small 1000maH inside to power the gimbel is that a sound setup ? I've also bought carbon props ( 9 x 5 )

Graham

Google/eBay IMAX B6, there is a 12v and an AC version.

justsomeguy said:
You can use your existing charger along with an inexpensive inverter.

I've used an older version of this inverter coupled with my stock charger while out on my boat:

http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-Outlet-Dc- ... B00006IRWR

Using inverters should work, but most cheap inverters use a modified sine wave output and this can upset sensitive electronics . . . If it does work, it will be inefficient, the inverter has a power loss in stepping up the voltage, and the charger will also have a efficiency loss converting from AC to DC. There is loss in the 12v>11.1v but not as much as 12v> 120/240VAC > 11.1vDC.

justsomeguy said:
Driffill said:
Using inverters should work, but most cheap inverters use a modified sine wave output and this can upset sensitive electronics . . . If it does work, it will be inefficient,.

In my experience it works great. No noticeable difference compared to plugging the charger into the wall at home.

Most cases it'll either work, or not. You wouldn't really be able to notice the difference in the the two methods, both should charge the lipo fine, but for example, if you were running of a single battery, using the 12v charger may give you one extra charge of the lipo compared to running the inverter set up.

I used to work in the caravan electronic industry, so I'm used to looking at how to run systems for as long as possible until it goes dead flat. using a 12v specific item as apposed to an inverter is always my preference (did you know you can get 12v microwaves!) I'm also always suspect about cheap inverters lol.

I have 5 - 2200mAh Phantom batteries and 3 Zippy 2800mAh batteries. Also take my Powerpal 4 charger with me and connect that to the car battery.... Also have 3 Gopro batteries.....can never have too many batteries lol

More batteries will increase your risk of a lipo fire over time. I am not saying that it is going to happen I am just saying that you have a higher risk.

If you are going to buy a ton of batteries make sure that you store them in something like an ammo box.

I began with 1 stock battery + 2 2200 NanoTech. 1 Month later was bored because short flight time and long recharging time, then bought 4 Zippy 2200 and 2 Hyperion GX 2200.... then the muticharger (4 LipOs at a time ~45 minutes at 1C). After 4-5 months, looking for longer flight time, I found Turnigy 2500 mAh (bought 4) and a month ago, finally stop my "LiPo bunker" with 4 Thunder Power 2700 mAh.

Total : 16 batteries for Phantom adn LCD Monitor in TX FPV. 3 FatShar 7.4 1000 mAh for Goggles.

I Hope not buying anything else because the worst scenario will give me 100 cycles per battery, so that is around 11.200 minutes flight time (186 hours) before loos power :mrgreen:

I Store my LiPos in Safe Anti-Fire bags. 9 months... no issues if you care them.

jumanoc said:
I began with 1 stock battery + 2 2200 NanoTech. 1 Month later was bored because short flight time and long recharging time, then bought 4 Zippy 2200 and 2 Hyperion GX 2200.... then the muticharger (4 LipOs at a time ~45 minutes at 1C). After 4-5 months, looking for longer flight time, I found Turnigy 2500 mAh (bought 4) and a month ago, finally stop my "LiPo bunker" with 4 Thunder Power 2700 mAh.

Total : 16 batteries for Phantom adn LCD Monitor in TX FPV. 3 FatShar 7.4 1000 mAh for Goggles.

I Hope not buying anything else because the worst scenario will give me 100 cycles per battery, so that is around 11.200 minutes flight time (186 hours) before loos power :mrgreen:

I Store my LiPos in Safe Anti-Fire bags. 9 months... no issues if you care them.

PD: Stock phantom battery remains as the better relation flight time - weight - 100+ recharges today and no voltage lower in that !

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31