Can anything be done to improve night camera performance?

Reaction score
What settings if any will improve night time camera performance, very poor quality of the night sky? Looking down is ok but background is pixelated.

Re: Can anything be done to improve night camera performance

Not much because there aren't many things that can be adjusted at all.
You can select the ISO value to highest, but on auto ISO the Phantom would do that anyway.
That's about it.

Meta4 said:
Not much because there aren't many things that can be adjusted at all.
You can select the ISO value to highest, but on auto ISO the Phantom would do that anyway.
That's about it.

That should help, but it doesn't. I find selecting a higher ISO (400) causes much more artifact on the sensor (white dot) and graininess. I leave my ASA locked to 100 at all times. I also lock my WB setting (lightbulb) for night.

I made a camera hood out of cardboard to reduce glare from the LED's. (get a thin piece, roll it up, Viola! I have a shapeways petal hood on order (wonder if that will do as well as the cardboard???)

I have also, when the shot was important, placed gaffing tape over the front LED'sYou can play with the exposure (I find flying daylight with -0.3 as best, flying +1 at night as best).

Another thing that would help is shoot in raw format. You can adjust noise, exposure, etc. You can get better adjustments with raw compared to jpeg. When you brighten up jpeg's it does so for whole image. With raw you can adjust levels & put back in shadows, details & things. The drawback to raw is you need Photoshop or light room or one of those products to use raw. ( I think ) Even though this camera is great for what it does, it really lacks in the iso range. I have not tried to shoot at 400 iso yet.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4