Calling all Video Pros: Rolling Shutter (jello) not caused by props

Reaction score
I have an extremely bad case of Rolling Shutter (Jello) and it is not caused by the props. I tested the camera without props and still get the Jello effect. By holding the Phantom and taking it through its range of motion while filming, I get the flight effect without the prop input. The effect is most noticeable in a Yaw maneuver. Less noticeable in altitude changes or forward and reverse motions.

These effects are there in all flavors of 1080 as well as 4K.

When I use any ND filter I solve the Jello problem but I don't necessarily care for the final effect on the colors (they look subdued---less vibrant). I have tested into and away from the sun as well as at 90 degrees left and right.

I have a set of Rainbowers Professional Filters on the way, but I have some doubt that will help with the color issue (although I am sure they will solve a couple of other issues I am having with "stacking").

Any suggestions are appreciated.

ND filter will be your only fix. You need to slow down your shutter speed so if you're filming at 25 fps then go 1/50 with your shutter, if 60 fps then 1/120 shutter.
The only way you can get these shutter results is to stop some light coming into the camera, ND.
ND filters shouldn't effect the colour so much, make sure your using a ND8 or 10 in bright sunny days. If there is any saturation or contrast loss then you can pump this back up in post pretty easily.
Most of the work in making videos is usually done in post so look up some colour correction tutorials.

Reactions: Jeff48920

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj