CALLING ALL GEECK’s (Experts only apply ;^) )

Reaction score
hello everyone

Suggestions please I’m currently looking for a computer upgrade (laptop). i been a pc user and apple user. my main concern is CPU Speed, memory and SSD storage and of course Bang for my dollar. the main use will be web cruising , school work (grandkids) and mainly video processing ,4k videos from my P4Pro (me). I’m currently using a MacBook air 2011 very slow for video processing .i prefer mac but willing to switch then Fight

thank you

Safe Fying

Last edited:
Hi Andy,
I may not be an expert but have just been through this conundrum recently.
Wanting to stay with a Mac, laptop for convenience, needing to process and edit 4K videos for P4P...
We were advised that the i7 quad core with a minimum of 16 GB RAM. Usually not off the shelf items as most are only i5 processors that are sold in shops.
It was quite a cost but needed to continue with my son's drone business requirements.
We are in Autralia just in case this info of availability is not the case in your location.
I hope that helps.
Peta

Reactions: andyca57
Andy, I have more than 6 laptops including a 4K laptop that's about as fast as you can get and it sucks for 4K video editing and rendering. But, even more to the point ... you don't really want to use a laptop for video editing or rendering because the loading during rendering will be near 100% and it could be there for 30 minutes or even hours. Laptops are not designed to handle that amount of heat generation, they are just not designed for it. So, last year when I was getting more serious with video I built a desktop FOR 4K VIDEO EDITING and it has an over clocked i7-5820K CPU and 980 Ti GPU -- both of which is water cooled.

Now, my top laptop with the 4K screen is capable of 4K video editing/rendering and I've done a little with it, but if the rendering is going to take more than a few minutes I'd argue that you should do it on a purpose built desktop. My high end desktop takes about 2 minutes to render a minute of video but if I chose a high bit rate output file, say 60Mbps, then the time to render can be more like 2.5 minutes per minute of video. Now, take a slower laptop than will have to throttle to prevent over heating and rendering a 30 minute video might take 2 hours or more. Do you want to run your expensive laptop for 2 hours at 100%?

Brian

Andy, I have more than 6 laptops including a 4K laptop that's about as fast as you can get and it sucks for 4K video editing and rendering. But, even more to the point ... you don't really want to use a laptop for video editing or rendering because the loading during rendering will be near 100% and it could be there for 30 minutes or even hours. Laptops are not designed to handle that amount of heat generation, they are just not designed for it. So, last year when I was getting more serious with video I built a desktop FOR 4K VIDEO EDITING and it has an over clocked i7-5820K CPU and 980 Ti GPU -- both of which is water cooled.

Now, my top laptop with the 4K screen is capable of 4K video editing/rendering and I've done a little with it, but if the rendering is going to take more than a few minutes I'd argue that you should do it on a purpose built desktop. My high end desktop takes about 2 minutes to render a minute of video but if I chose a high bit rate output file, say 60Mbps, then the time to render can be more like 2.5 minutes per minute of video. Now, take a slower laptop than will have to throttle to prevent over heating and rendering a 30 minute video might take 2 hours or more. Do you want to run your expensive laptop for 2 hours at 100%?

Brian
That makes great sense. Interesting to know Brian.

Brian
thank you for quick reply and suggestion happy flying

Hi Andy,
I may not be an expert but have just been through this conundrum recently.
Wanting to stay with a Mac, laptop for convenience, needing to process and edit 4K videos for P4P...
We were advised that the i7 quad core with a minimum of 16 GB RAM. Usually not off the shelf items as most are only i5 processors that are sold in shops.
It was quite a cost but needed to continue with my son's drone business requirements.
We are in Autralia just in case this info of availability is not the case in your location.
I hope that helps.
Peta

thank you for quick reply and suggestion happy flying

Reactions: Next_level_lens

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31