Birds and drones, scientific study

About two months ago I was flying over my house in the late afternoon when I noticed about 12 pigeons flying in a group circling the trees about 200 yards away. I flew my drone in their direction and before I knew it they had gone to a slightly higher altitude while circling overhead of my drone. They would chase my drone and turn away and I would turn and chase them. This went on for about 2 minutes with the pigeons staying in close formation. Neither the birds nor I got in each others personal space. Apparently they got bored of that and flew away.

I've flown hundreds of miles around birds, eagles, osprey etc and never had even a close call. They either ignore or flee..that's been my experience. I know a big conservationist who looks after Ospreys in NJ wants to use one to look in Osprey nest throughout mating season.

Hi all, thanks a lot for your posts so far. There are very interesting and informative observations. Curious to read further comments on this topic. Me myself am still waiting for my Mavic to make own experiences. :)
Now, have a good start into this week.
Best, Randolph

Gesendet von meinem E5823 mit Tapatalk

I have had some large cranes flying near by turn around to investigate the drone then carry on. I have seen some horrible videos on YT that show hawks protecting their space and the drone pilot continued to fly there regardless. The Hawk attacked the drone a number of times. Not sure if it was injured or not. Just as we need to be mindful of people in our area we need to respect the wildlife equally.
Hi, I've seen in another thread about SD cards that you are taking shots of animals, also birds. Apart from the cranes, may you have similar observations from other species, eg birds of prey? Did you experienced birds being obviously threatened by your drone?
Did you publish your pictures of animals somewhere in the Web?
Best, Randolph

Yesterday flying my phantom 4 I got followed home by a rather large hawk. He did not get too close but he shadowed the p4 for a minute or two... just curious apparently. Glided past overhead at about 70-80 ft finally over home point when I landed.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Did you publish your pictures of animals somewhere in the Web?
Best, Randolph
For my experience a bird has to be real close and big enough to get a decent photo of it. These drones we use have quite a wide angle lens and everything looks quite small and far away. You see. Some people are very afraid of privacy. But in fact I never fly this close that anyone could be recognized on a video. Except on landing. Anyone that is further than 15-20 meters away from a drone can't be recognized. The same goes for birds. And they are a lot smaller than people.

I've been birding since 1970s . . it was a red tailed hawk . . .It was not in my camera view. I was looking at it VLOS following just above and behind the Phantom . . .wish I could have gotten a photo but I was concentrating on getting home and landing since it was near 15% battery left. This could have been the photo if I'd had my iphone out. He was about this close to me where I was standing as he went by.
upload_2016-10-31_14-29-21.jpeg

For my experience a bird has to be real close and big enough to get a decent photo of it. These drones we use have quite a wide angle lens and everything looks quite small and far away. You see. Some people are very afraid of privacy. But in fact I never fly this close that anyone could be recognized on a video. Except on landing. Anyone that is further than 15-20 meters away from a drone can't be recognized. The same goes for birds. And they are a lot smaller than people.
Ok, thanks, I see [emoji5]️

I've been birding since 1970s . . it was a red tailed hawk . . .It was not in my camera view. I was looking at it VLOS following just above and behind the Phantom . . .wish I could have gotten a photo but I was concentrating on getting home and landing since it was near 15% battery left. This could have been the photo if I'd had my iphone out. He was about this close to me where I was standing as he went by.
View attachment 67987
Thanks David, impressive picture [emoji5]️ so the red tailed hawk was curious to see what kind of bird your drone could be. Interesting observation, thank you

Thanks David, impressive picture [emoji5]️ so the red tailed hawk was curious to see what kind of bird your drone could be. Interesting observation, thank you

He sure was curious . . followed me home for the last few hundred meters. The photo was stock from wikipedia . . . but that is darn close to what I saw as he went overhead at about that distance. Glad he wasn't really hungry . . just looking!

take a look at the film 'Winged Migration.'

the filmmakers follow various species around the world that migrate seasonally.

the footage is quite stunning. it was made around 2002 i believe, so no drones were used.

most of the footage was shot in a rear-prop single-seat lightweight glider type craft (not sure of the real name of the AC).

the key, at least for these filmmakers, was to imprint on the birds at very young ages, so that the animals would eventually see the AC as simply a member of the flock.

it takes quite a lot of work to capture birds in flight. not saying it can't be done, but maybe not right now, with current drone tech.

Reactions: Randolph_Kricke
take a look at the film 'Winged Migration.'

the filmmakers follow various species around the world that migrate seasonally.

the footage is quite stunning. it was made around 2002 i believe, so no drones were used.

most of the footage was shot in a rear-prop single-seat lightweight glider type craft (not sure of the real name of the AC).

the key, at least for these filmmakers, was to imprint on the birds at very young ages, so that the animals would eventually see the AC as simply a member of the flock.

it takes quite a lot of work to capture birds in flight. not saying it can't be done, but maybe not right now, with current drone tech.
Thank you, I see [emoji5]️

I've flown a few times at a Starling roost (UK) as the birds arrive in the evening. It's a reedbed (Phragmites) and the birds show no interest except to change their flight path to avoid the drone. There are raptors around so they are probably more worried about them!
Good luck with your studies.

Thank you, interesting observation. It's always impressive to see the large flocks of starlings finding their place for the night... :)

Gesendet von meinem E5823 mit Tapatalk

I was in my backyard flying, not my P4P, a bright red Syma. I had it up about 7 to 8 feet trying to get it to hover in one spot when a hummingbird flew over and hovered less than a foot above it. Guessing it was less than a minute, hard for me to hold it still for long, but seemed like an hour. Quad and hummingbird suspended in air.

I've got a nesting pair of red tail hawks in the eucalyptus trees next to my house on our multi-acre farm. I have to be very careful to steer clear of the area especially during nest building and raising of the yunguns. I've only flown a few times so far with my new P4P, but the hawks are always hunting the area and can be extremely protective of their young. I had a close call on Saturday but was fortunately very close VLOS and saw the hawk approaching the bird. I don't plan on messing around and trying to get video especially this time of year when they are starting their brood. I immediately went vertical to clear the hawks glide range and then lateral and back down to the ground near me. No video as the hawk approached from the rear and I am yet to be proficient enough as I learn stick controls to put the hawk in view. I was more concerned to avoid a strike and get my bird down unharmed.

They are beautiful creatures and I don't want to be doing things to mess with their territory. My brain is larger than theirs. I can handle backing away and giving up turf :D

We have a wedge- tail eagle nest on the far west boundary of our place .They are at the top of the food chain ,fear nothing and can have up to 2.5m wingspan apparently.
I saw the two adults and two offspring last year .
They create a unofficial NFZ .
The trouble is they can show up anywhere and as you say, unless you are VLOS you wont see them coming.
You may have to play it on the enlarged screen because he's right down the bottom.
I didn't realize there was four of them looking for mice and snakes in the hay shed until looked up to watch the Phantom returning.
Sometimes when I'm repairing a fence I see a large shadow pass over and look up to see them soaring the thermals I wonder if they are sizing me up.!.
DSCF0373.JPG

I was in my backyard flying, not my P4P, a bright red Syma. I had it up about 7 to 8 feet trying to get it to hover in one spot when a hummingbird flew over and hovered less than a foot above it. Guessing it was less than a minute, hard for me to hold it still for long, but seemed like an hour. Quad and hummingbird suspended in air.
Very interesting observation, thanks for that [emoji106] [emoji4]

I've got a nesting pair of red tail hawks in the eucalyptus trees next to my house on our multi-acre farm. I have to be very careful to steer clear of the area especially during nest building and raising of the yunguns. I've only flown a few times so far with my new P4P, but the hawks are always hunting the area and can be extremely protective of their young. I had a close call on Saturday but was fortunately very close VLOS and saw the hawk approaching the bird. I don't plan on messing around and trying to get video especially this time of year when they are starting their brood. I immediately went vertical to clear the hawks glide range and then lateral and back down to the ground near me. No video as the hawk approached from the rear and I am yet to be proficient enough as I learn stick controls to put the hawk in view. I was more concerned to avoid a strike and get my bird down unharmed.

They are beautiful creatures and I don't want to be doing things to mess with their territory. My brain is larger than theirs. I can handle backing away and giving up turf :D
Thanks for your post [emoji4] that's the way we all should guide our UAVs [emoji106]

We have a wedge- tail eagle nest on the far west boundary of our place .They are at the top of the food chain ,fear nothing and can have up to 2.5m wingspan apparently.
I saw the two adults and two offspring last year .
They create a unofficial NFZ .
The trouble is they can show up anywhere and as you say, unless you are VLOS you wont see them coming.
You may have to play it on the enlarged screen because he's right down the bottom.
I didn't realize there was four of them looking for mice and snakes in the hay shed until looked up to watch the Phantom returning.
Sometimes when I'm repairing a fence I see a large shadow pass over and look up to see them soaring the thermals I wonder if they are sizing me up.!.
View attachment 77330
Thanks for your post and the pictures. Very huge bird indeed [emoji106] [emoji4]

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl