Best way to film train?

Reaction score
Hoping to get out in the morning to a classic steam train that passes over an old wooden trestle bridge.

Question is what's the best angle? Fly behind and above? In front backwards and above? Dolly sideways? Stay more still and rotate?

Any idea what makes for the better angle. I think most of those options would result in a good video but not sure if one is better than the other.

I'd probably go for a side shot but facing into the train as it approaches the bridge at a distance of maybe 30-40ft then follow it flying backwards and sideways and then as it gets halfway scross I'd fly back and out to get the whole of the train and bridge in the shot

Reactions: jlo
I would shoot at an angle flying backwards. Something that shows as much of the train as possible. Jmho, I'm sure all of your ideas would produce a nice video.

I'd probably go for a side shot but facing into the train as it approaches the bridge at a distance of maybe 30-40ft then follow it flying backwards and sideways and then as it gets halfway scross I'd fly back and out to get the whole of the train and bridge in the shot
Mal, i have the Professional, what settings would you shoot in

Cheers. I'll try to head out early and scope the exact angles and terrain. Best shot may depend on whether there are bends before or after.... And where I can avoid trees lol.

Here's a few examples of train videos I've taken that may help! Good luck!

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Reactions: jlo

Looks like I'm not the first. I can study this for scoping purposes

Bah! You people and your advice!

Still can't get a second battery here in Australia so I got there 30 minutes ahead of time.
I set everything up and did a compass calibration and went through my pre-flight checklist and turned the P3 back off.
I took my mini quad out for a spin to scope the area. Rather tricky, deep gulch, road, trees and a thin power line to be careful of. OK got it.
12:32 I fire the P3 up and put it in the air. ****, bright low winter sun over the hill screwing the exposure. I have to go right down to train level to get footage, not a worry.
Find my waiting spot, hovering above the gully to the side of the track waiting for the train to come around the corner.
It does, and it's go time. I track backward and rotate on the engine, stopping when I hit perpendicular.
Capture the carriages with people hanging out the window and waving, until the last carriage where I dolly along side for a bit then sweep up a little bit, rotate and move behind the train.
With the caboose, with train guard on the back rail looking at the P3 I follow it a little way down the track until the trees and cables get too dicey.
Bring it back and get some B roll of the trestle bridge avoiding the ferns and struts.

PERFECT!

Bring her in for landing, hand catch nicely and place her gently on the ground extremely happy.

Now to hit the record button and turn the video off.... oh....

Turns out the best way to film a train, despite the good advice above, is to turn the camera ON :)

Oh well, next weekend it is!

Reactions: Altanore and snerd
Bwahahaha!!!!! Sorry, it happens.

Yup! Basically since I had one shot at it I got out of rhythm. Starting the video is in my pre flight routine, which I did in advance. I'm always pleased when my silly mistakes are of the non dangerous non destructive variety.

On the up side I've had the p3 for two weeks now and up to 4hrs flight time (which is no mean feat given single battery and winter hours) with no major issues after my first flight light crash. Got the horizon issues and other minor gripes but she sure is solid and reliable.

Reactions: snerd
Yup! Basically since I had one shot at it I got out of rhythm. Starting the video is in my pre flight routine, which I did in advance. I'm always pleased when my silly mistakes are of the non dangerous non destructive variety.

On the up side I've had the p3 for two weeks now and up to 4hrs flight time (which is no mean feat given single battery and winter hours) with no major issues after my first flight light crash. Got the horizon issues and other minor gripes but she sure is solid and reliable.
She is reliable for sure! I decided when I got mine, I wasn't going to participate in any crashes that most say are inevitable. I've flown only over open areas. I had to make a run down to Little Rock today................. the smallest trees down here are 100' foot pines. They're everywhere! I have really only flown LOS until now, but if I want to chance flying here, it will be by the video feed. I'm scared.

For some good "B roll" could do a couple pans, booms and dolly shots as the train passes. Might take a few trips though.

Shot 1 I think I would be below the train in the valley aiming at the train about 45 degree angle. Slow ascend as the train passes. Simple. Could also do another shot higher up. Gimbal straight. Slowly descend to below the tracks.

Then there's flying straight opposite the train. As if your going the other way down the track. Keeping the train to left of frame.

Then maybe for another shot I'd hover level with train looking towards it. Than just slowly left stick to follow it's direction.

Maybe for another one I'd go behind some trees. Wait for the train, pan gimbal down towards trees and fly out of tree line to expose the train.

There's so many angles and good shots you'll probably have to take like 20 takes and use different ones for different style videos?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31