Best app to use while flying

Reaction score
I've been using dji go 4 for the most part but been checking out airmap. Wonder what the thoughts are

I've been using dji go 4 for the most part but been checking out airmap. Wonder what the thoughts are
Let us know how you go.

I can’t understand how a third party app might provide better functionality to GO4 for general flight. The SDK is always limited.

Now that DJI has ditched AirMap as the geospatial data provider for geofencing (PrecisionHawk has the gig now) even the claimed quick flight authorisation feature is probably not what it was suggested it might be with airmap.

I think it all depends on what you are doing and what you are comfortable with. I use DJI GO 4, Litchi, AutoPilot and HammerMissions. Different flight apps serve different purposes. For just general flying I use GO 4 or Litchi.

All of the apps mentioned above use DJIs SDK whereas AutoPilot does not so there are some neat features it provides over the others with some tradeoffs.

For my P3S I use Litchi, AutoPilot, and Hammer
For my Spark, I use DJI GO 4, AutoPilot, and Hammer and occasionally Litchi.

Chris

Reactions: tunadoctor
I think it all depends on what you are doing and what you are comfortable with. I use DJI GO 4, Litchi, AutoPilot and HammerMissions. Different flight apps serve different purposes. For just general flying I use GO 4 or Litchi.

All of the apps mentioned above use DJIs SDK whereas AutoPilot does not so there are some neat features it provides over the others with some tradeoffs.

For my P3S I use Litchi, AutoPilot, and Hammer
For my Spark, I use DJI GO 4, AutoPilot, and Hammer and occasionally Litchi.

Chris
Are you sure autopilot doesn’t use the SDK? I’m not sure why you might believe that or how it might even be possible for autopilot to function without the SDK. They do use what they call a “custom flight controller” for some great functionality while the drone is in range if the controller however the SDk is still used to issue commands to the drone.

It’s a shame autopilot hasn’t been updated for a while so current DJI products aren’t supported. It was a great app.

Reactions: Ansia
Are you sure autopilot doesn’t use the SDK? I’m not sure why you might believe that or how it might even be possible for autopilot to function without the SDK. They do use what they call a “custom flight controller” for some great functionality while the drone is in range if the controller however the SDk is still used to issue commands to the drone.

It’s a shame autopilot hasn’t been updated for a while so current DJI products aren’t supported. It was a great app.
I think you are right about the SDK because otherwise the safety features like RTH wouldn't work. I was confusing the SDK with the custom flight controller. Sorry about that and thanks for pointing it out.

Yes, I agree about AutoPilot not being updated. It still works great with my older P3S and Spark and I will continue to use it until it doesn't work anymore. It is one of my favourite apps. The tracking/follow function and being able to run a Waypoints mission with curved turns and program numerous actions (360º spherical panos etc.) at specific waypoints is amazing.

Lately, I have been testing HammerMissions (beta software) and really like it. It is rock solid and has some unique features that none of the other flight apps have.

Chris

I have only used DJI Go 4 and Litchi.

I’m not sure what you know about Litchi, but it’s autonomous flight ability is much better than DJI Go’s. You can plan out a fairly elaborate mission ahead of time, say, the night before, and with a simple touch of an icon, the copter lifts off and begins the mission, and it can be set to auto land back home or at the final waypoint upon completion. When I demo my copter to folks with minimal drone experience, a short Litchi mission always captivates, and truthfully, it still captivates me as well, every time. Well worth the money!

More information on hammer please?
Hammer is beta software and is in the final stages of testing and development. You have to sign up to help with testing it. Here is the link to their website - Hammermissions.

Let us know how you go.

I can’t understand how a third party app might provide better functionality to GO4 for general flight. The SDK is always limited.

Now that DJI has ditched AirMap as the geospatial data provider for geofencing (PrecisionHawk has the gig now) even the claimed quick flight authorisation feature is probably not what it was suggested it might be with airmap.
I hadn’t heard this. Been using Airmap. Do I need to switch to PrecisionHawk for my Authorizations now??

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl