Beginner Mode: Cannot Take Off (NO GPS)

Would a message on the screen saying "Compass Calibration Required" not be a good reason to calibrate the compass?

I wouldn't calibrate compass unless there is a reason to. If it flies fine then no need to risk screwing something up with an unnecessary calibration

Now for the GPS part, If the building your in and the surronding buildings block the sattelite signals to your bird you will not have enought sats to go fly. Try out in the open to check if it is signal, or your craft, if you have a go in the open it's that your are not getting signal on your balcony, if it still does't work it may be your craft's gps receivers are not working. DO NOT try to learn how to fly from your balcony or be prepared to go pick up the peices and hope you did not injure anybody.

Why would you have to stay away from trees to calibrate the compass?
He said "tress", not "trees". I think he meant "truss", as in the rafters of a building. No, wait. That wouldn't make sense. Maybe he meant "trestle", like a train track. That would make sense. Lots of metal in a train track. Trees are more common though so you're probably right. He must have meant trees and your question becomes truer (is "truer" a word?). Trees might block GPS but wouldn't have any effect on compass calibration.

I think he meant trees as that's a common typo. I just couldn't understand him because as you pointed out..... trees would not affect a compass.

Thanks for the reply.

He said "tress", not "trees". I think he meant "truss", as in the rafters of a building. No, wait. That wouldn't make sense. Maybe he meant "trestle", like a train track. That would make sense. Lots of metal in a train track. Trees are more common though so you're probably right. He must have meant trees and your question becomes truer (is "truer" a word?). Trees might block GPS but wouldn't have any effect on compass calibration.

I think he meant trees as that's a common typo. I just couldn't understand him because as you pointed out..... trees would not affect a compass.

Thanks for the reply.
It was a typo for sure. I just had to give him a bit of a hard time about it. ;)

Either way is fine. Just do it as smoothly as possible.

I like to pick up the Phantom at the cross-section with my right hand with the camera pointing to the rear and make your first 360 turn either clockwise or counter clockwise, it doesn't matter. Then, simply flip your wrist upward and the camera will be pointing toward the ground and then make the last 360 turn. After you're finished, the green strobes should be flashing and it's ready to fly.

Bud

Stupid question. When calibrating the compass. Do you spin with the drone or just spin the drone?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

I always have the camera facing down and that works too. Pretty sure the camera Is facing down but I need to calibrate it again after firmware update so I may have the camera facing up this time

Sent from my HUAWEI LYO-L01 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Would a message on the screen saying "Compass Calibration Required" not be a good reason to calibrate the compass?
Yes you should if the app tells you to.
Probably not. If the app gives you that message, try moving away from the magnetic influence that caused it. Do not calibrate close to steel.

Everyone should review p57 of the manual to see DJI's new compass calibrations. They have changed from what you are used to.

Sent from my SM-G900I using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: F3honda4me
I take off and land my P4 from my balcony a lot.

I had the same trouble as you are experiencing. I could not get enough satellites to take off with GPS.

I thought my drone was busted. However, I simply took the aircraft down stairs and out in an open spot. Turned on at waited and found it did not take long for it to get 10 or more satellites.

I also calibrate it outside and when it is good to go I turn it off and do not calibrate it on the balcony. The compasses just will not calibrate properly on my balcony and I assume your is similar.

When I fly from the balcony. I fly on vision only for take off and fly pretty quickly out and let it hover for a minute in the open until it gets enough satellites.

Then start my flight plan. it is a bit to get used too. Flying back into the balcony is a little challenging as the forward vision sensors sometimes think the balcony is an obstacle.

The other thing is RTH is not a good idea with a P4 because it tries to descend through the roof above you to land on your balcony. Although I believe the P4 Pro will return to home on the exact same route it used.

Litchi can also be programmed to get you back to the balcony but the tolerances are so scary to get it back on a small balcony. I would not risk it. Program it to hover back in front of your balcony and then guide it in manually.

The first 2 responses to the new op's question were spot on, the rest of the thread was TMI for a new op. Let the man get out of his balcony into open space, do the dance according to manual then come back to the forum if there is a problem.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor