BC20-4 (DJI) charger vs the Thunder AC680

Reaction score
Over the past few months I have been struggling to understand why (identical) test flights are lasting only 5-12 minutes (ave times overall are around 8 min) - with 8 separate tests used in this sample.

I have a non-standard FC40, which I modified to use two externally mounted MadDog 11.1v 2700mAh 25C batteries, where I upgraded the props to the Phantom 2's (9") props, and I also installed a Walkera G-2D gimble.

All tests have been done using dual batteries.

I have two different balance-chargers.
One that that came with the FC40 (the BC20-4).
The other is a Thunder AC680 balance charger.

Batteries are charged with the following settings..
Batteries charged on the Thunder charger are charged at 1.3A - typical charge time: <30min in a balanced charge.
Batteries charged with DJI's BC20-4 charger are charged at 2A - typical (balanced) charge time: about 1 1/2 hrs.
Using this method, I get an average of 8 min flight.

NOTE: all flights are done by hovering the phantom at about 10ft, and holding that position until it self-lands.
ALSO NOTE: that the Phantom is set to factory specs for all these tests.

I'm posting this because it turns out I can get more flight time - averaging 18 min 20 sec - simply by charging both batteries used in a test with the DJI charger. But I found the Thunder charger (if used on one of the two batteries in a test) will fly for only half as long.
I now know why flight durations were so short.

Has anyone else compared these two chargers side-by-side?
Has anyone else seen similar results?

The Thunder charger is well liked in the RC community; that's why I got it in the first place; but these results have convinced me that the Thunder charger produces shorter flight times than DJI's charger. Yes, the DJI charger takes nearly three times as long to complete a balancing charge (and that is not so good), but for twice the flight time 'it is well worth the wait.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.