Battery too cold error

Reaction score
I had my battery under 15c yesterday. I could still fly but it mentioned it was unadvisable. I heated it up with body warmth

get a bag that keeps things warm might help you out

I had my battery under 15c yesterday. I could still fly but it mentioned it was unadvisable. I heated it up with body warmth
Did you get any Warning message at 15C? Whats the AC version you have installed?

I think 15c is the lowest. Under that and the props won't start. I think the warning goes from 15c to 25c. Nice addition to firmware.

I never got any warning at 15C. Did you fly at 15C or 15F?

I got the warning when my battery was slightly under 15C (yes, C, not F). It's not in the firmware, it's in the Go App. I still have the 1.5 firmware.
I still wonder what's the minimum temperature you can fly full speed ahead with a cold battery. I keep an eye on the voltage, particularly when I flew with the warning on, and I know that the cut off where the battery shuts off is at 3.00V. The recommended minimum by DJI is 3.20V (saw it in an e-mail from DJI). I always try to keep it above 3.40V. I wonder if I can fly with a cold battery (say 15C) and as long as I'm careful not to let the voltage drop below say 3.40-3.50V, that I should be fine. Seems common sense, but I really don't know how LiPos behave in cold climates. Could it possibly go from 3.40 down to 3.00 in an instant (under some failure condition)?

See included information re Lipo Voltage vs Temperature, look for the curves falling down under 15C ;

Battery selection, part 1 | CMicrotek Low-power Design Blog

9256a70da3af2169a5252a68103d7765.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Last edited:
Thanks. According to the chart it seems to be a gradual drop. As long as it's guaranteed to always be gradual I should be able to monitor it through the cell voltage.

Can't say it's exactly gradual under craft condition. DJI introduced a control to limit the power of the motors under cold situation, to avoid significant voltage drop under heavy load, especially if sudden. Not obvious to trust this graph as 100mA is not much, but you can already see the curve having some drop under 10C, lab condition. All that said with battery in good conditions. Also time factor as to what will be temp at start and internal temp will progressively increase.

Too many factors so buffer highly recommended!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Last edited:
Reactions: nonflyingbrick
It was about 12celcius where I was. Phantom was in box but wth me in forest for about 2 hours.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic