Battery issue

Reaction score
Hi. I recently purchased a P4P for spare parts as it had a Battery signal error. The battery was sold as working and it was charged. Upon closer inspection of the battery terminals I noticed that some of them were burnt and distorted. This is probably what caused the Battery signal error and probably fried some components in the Drone as the error is there with any battery inserted. This will be another project to fix as the drone itself is in very good condition.
The question now is whether it is worthwhile fixing the faulty battery or reaching it? The battery seems to hold a charge but can't be plugged into a charger due to the deformed terminals.
All input will be highly appreciated.

Attachments

• 17193819814956469507877525730602.jpg
    17193819814956469507877525730602.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 16
  • 1719382015882684681463386418971.jpg
    1719382015882684681463386418971.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 14
Reactions: RodPad
Thanks for the reply guys. I was leaning towards the disposal side. Just wanted to see if anyone else had a similar problem. So recycle bin it is. Next will be to try to find the part which got fried on the Drone, that's coming up with the Battery signal error.

Since this question popped up.
I have a couple of bloated batteries.
They work fine without any signs of any problem internally according to the logs readings. They are still at 90% their total capacity but sort of get bloated during the flight and it makes pretty hard to extract them.
Someone was saying that is not a good sign and I probably should stop using them. So I did. I use them mostly for powering drone while on the ground for changing settings etc, but really did anyone had some serious problems with bloated batteries apart from struggling with taking them out?

Since this question popped up.
I have a couple of bloated batteries.
They work fine without any signs of any problem internally according to the logs readings. They are still at 90% their total capacity but sort of get bloated during the flight and it makes pretty hard to extract them.
Someone was saying that is not a good sign and I probably should stop using them. So I did. I use them mostly for powering drone while on the ground for changing settings etc, but really did anyone had some serious problems with bloated batteries apart from struggling with taking them out?
Hi.
Here is a quote directly from DJI,
"For safety purposes please do not use bloated or bulging batteries when flying or operating your drone so that the drone's performance will not be affected or compromised . Using bloated or bulging batteries might lead to damaging of the aircraft, or worse, damage to property.26 Oct 2021"
That's just from a quick Google search. There is heaps more information on this topic. I guess that using the batteries for testing while the Drone is on the ground may be OK but there is still the potential for the battery to catch alight or explode. So personally, I wouldn't use them due to the risk of damage to the Drone or other property. A Lithium battery exploding or igniting is like setting of a large flare. It will destroy /ignite anything in close proximity and the fumes are also toxic. Recycling these batteries is probably the best option.

My opinion is even stronger than not using it to fly your Phantom. I would urge you to get rid of the battery. If you can discharge it in a safe place while monitoring it, that's good. The power density of these batteries is very high - meaning, there is a LOT of energy in these batteries. Even new batteries have some risk. (Never charge these unattended.) When you have a damaged battery, there could be internal damage. You don't actually know what is going on in the battery. The electrolytes in your battery are highly flammable. If the battery ignites, you will have a hard time putting the fire out, and it burns hot. It's not worth the risk to keep damaged, charged batteries around.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
carouselchildren