Automatic sequence of various steps in Go app

Reaction score
Hi All, I have not been on the forum for a while, but getting back into my drones now that I’m retired. I’ve attempted to search the forum for this topic and did not find anything so forgive me if I’ve missed something.
I have a P3P (and I assume I’ll be able to get the most updated software) and I’d like to find a way to automatically sequence through a number of steps. In this case it’s waypoints. The scenario is:
  • Manually power up the controller, battery, drone and get satellites
  • Manually (automatically would be better) initiate a waypoint mission
  • At the end, RTH and sit there powered up
  • After a certain amount of time initiate the mission again and so forth.
So ignoring the obvious battery life issue and other things I’d like the drone to do along its mission, does anyone know if DJI or any other app can do this? I’ve heard good things about Litchi but don’t know it well enough or is there some other third party app that can “batch” the DJI commands to accomplish this? Thanks for your help, Bill

You can do such things with Tello. It is a toy grade drone, but it has a simple "programming" language which allows it to do all the operations you mentioned. There's also a Python library for it, so you can use all its capabilities is an environment closer to real programming.
It would require some dedication to make these libraries work with larger DJI drones, but that should be possible to achieve. Underlying protocol is identical.

Another way would be to use action recorder - a tool which writes your every click. Then re-playing that should give you the same results; but many things can go wrong: app may crash, or drone may take longer to fly due to wind, or a new info window may pop up in Go app. If that happens, the playback will continue incorrectly, possibly causing a crash.

For Litchi - someone else should comment.

In any case, automatic repeating missions are restricted by battery life. You won't make it patrol for more than 2-3 hours.

Thanks, quaddamge. I"ll check out those items. Yes, the battery life is a potential issue, but my missions are very short and this is just the first step of my "project".
Anyone with Litchi or other info?
Thanks, again..

Using the Intelligent Flight Mode, “F mode switch” when selected will show the Intelligent Flight Modes selector ICON below the Auto-Land icon on the left side of the screen.

Waypoints
: Record a flight path, then the aircraft will fly along the same path repeatedly you control the camera and orientation. The flight path can be saved and re-applied. Select “New Mission” or Previous Mission

1) T/O in “P” Mode, position Drone. Switch to the “F” Mode.
2) Position Drone, with altitude at first Waypoint.
3) On the Controller, Bottom front Left C1 Button, Click to set First Waypoint
4) Position Drone with altitude to next Waypoint, C1, Click
5) Position Drone with altitude to next Waypoint, C1, Click
6) etc.
7) Use, Constant with Route, the Camera stays Forward, you can still control Camera. or Choose Constant with Record (with Smooth Arc Between Waypoints)
8) “Apply” and go (save route if desired)

HTHs Bill

Thanks Bill, I think I understand the waypoint process but my question is, can a mission be automatically repeated after a certain amount of time passes.

Litchi will do what you want. You can define the mission to be flown on the Litchi hub on line, and then download it to your drone for execution. Study the users guide, as there are some considerations to know.

Thanks David, yes, Litchi seems to have a lot more functionality in the waypoint feature than the Go app. However, the key is that I want the "finish action" of the waypoint mission to be RTH. Then after X minutes, the drone will automatically re-run that mission with no manual intervention needed to start it on it's way. I didn't see that functionality.

You will need to land and change batteries if your flight has any length to it at all. Most DJI drones will only fly for 30 minutes or less. No software will overcome that

Yes, battery life is a concern and will have to be resolved (working on that), but my missions won't be more than 4 minutes each for now. For this stage of "the project", i'm focusing on finding something (Litchi?) that can automatically restart a mission after X minutes. thanks again.

This is the answer as far as Litchi support is concerned:

"This is not something you can automate using Litchi. Starting a mission has to be done manually.
Kind Regards,
Litchi"
Thanks all...

Using the Intelligent Flight Mode, “F mode switch” when selected will show the Intelligent Flight Modes selector ICON below the Auto-Land icon on the left side of the screen.

Waypoints
: Record a flight path, then the aircraft will fly along the same path repeatedly you control the camera and orientation. The flight path can be saved and re-applied. Select “New Mission” or Previous Mission

1) T/O in “P” Mode, position Drone. Switch to the “F” Mode.
2) Position Drone, with altitude at first Waypoint.
3) On the Controller, Bottom front Left C1 Button, Click to set First Waypoint
4) Position Drone with altitude to next Waypoint, C1, Click
5) Position Drone with altitude to next Waypoint, C1, Click
6) etc.
7) Use, Constant with Route, the Camera stays Forward, you can still control Camera. or Choose Constant with Record (with Smooth Arc Between Waypoints)
8) “Apply” and go (save route if desired)

HTHs Bill
  • ? After a certain amount of time initiate the mission again and so forth.
The last step #8 You can (save route if desired) and call it up again later, fly it many times. This is handy for video of progressing building projects, times of day, night or the year.

Thanks BillCaf, my statement should have said: " After a certain amount of time (X minutes or hours), autonomously initiate the mission again and so forth.

Thanks BillCaf, my statement should have said: " After a certain amount of time (X minutes or hours), autonomously initiate the mission again and so forth.
I don't see anywhere in the P3P Users Manual updated where you can "autonomously" have this happen. You have to initiate it yourself. Oh well.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj