Auto land @ 30% battery

Reaction score
Why does my P3P want to auto land @ 30% battery. In failsafe I have RTH selected. Is this a battery issue? I can not find a place in settings to address this

How far out are you? It'll land if it can't make it back before the battery is depleted.

I was actually about 10 feet away from where I took off. Maybe being that close had something to do with it
Yes, if you are that close RTH will just land.

Last edited:
You can configure this in the Pilot App. There are two warning levels. The 2nd warning level starts the auto land. I have my warnings at 20% then 10%.

I set mine at 25% & 15% as I am normally a bit further away most of the time. Your 30% Low Battery Warning should be just that, a red flashing banner that says Low Battery Warning, it should not start the auto-land until the Critical Low battery warning, which is the second level, this level is dynamic and will increase with range. Check where your warning levels are set and adjust as needed, keeping in mind that when you hit the Critical level the bird will land where it is and you have very little control, just some lateral movement.

I set mine at 25% & 15% as I am normally a bit further away most of the time. Your 30% Low Battery Warning should be just that, a red flashing banner that says Low Battery Warning, it should not start the auto-land until the Critical Low battery warning, which is the second level, this level is dynamic and will increase with range. Check where your warning levels are set and adjust as needed, keeping in mind that when you hit the Critical level the bird will land where it is and you have very little control, just some lateral movement.

You still have up and down control as well as lateral and yaw so I guess that's full control. You just have to give it almost 100% up throttle to keep it in the air but you can make it hover when it's trying to come down.

I know this because my 2nd critical is set to 10% but when I take a battery on its 11th charge to 8% before landing (battery break-in) I have to hold it for that last 2% while it's trying to come down.

You still have up and down control as well as lateral and yaw so I guess that's full control. You just have to give it almost 100% up throttle to keep it in the air but you can make it hover when it's trying to come down.

I know this because my 2nd critical is set to 10% but when I take a battery on its 11th charge to 8% before landing (battery break-in) I have to hold it for that last 2% while it's trying to come down.
The issue here is the lack of power available to you. If it wants to land the best thing you can do is to let it at once, just using lateral control to pick a spot if it is LOS. I tried to keep my P2 in the air by using full up throttle and it sucked the last bit of power very fast, and the motors just shut off while still 8' in the air. Lucky for me it was over grass, but I still needed a new shell as it sprung an arm. The word 'Critical' in this case means just that. I would personally never fly a battery down to less than 10% just for maintenance, that is why I have a plug in battery conditioner, it will take the battery down to 5% without it being in the A/C and shut off automatically.

Thanks for the reply. My battery showed 30%. Now like you say that may have not been accurate. I was about 10 feet from my take off spot. I've had the bird about a week and am flying low and close till I get more comfortable with it. Someone posted that since I was that close to my marked spot it decided to go ahead and land. Thanks again all advise is taken to heart believe me.

To get to 8% I'm hovering over the home point probably 2ft off the ground. I'm trying to remember but from 10% to 8% probably took maybe 30-45 seconds. This is safe enough for me for my battery break-in procedure.

I would never put the 2nd warning level too high as it may mean say at 20% the P3 is going to try to land and it might be too far away from me to figure out what's on the ground. I think 10% is sufficient for me with maybe a 25-30% first warning.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers