Are FAA Penalties a Myth?

In regards to Part 107 pilots providing commercial services to clients, the Part 107 license is meaningless without 1) enforcement and corresponding penalties and 2) making the client complicit in the offense. The offending clients have no skin in the game in regards to regulations and therefore have no incentive for seeking out licensed Part 107 pilots since they have no threat of penalty. I realize it's easier said than done but unless and until prospective clients face penalties, unlicensed shade tree pilots will always pose a threat to the livelihood of those pilots who took it upon themselves to pony-up $150, take the written exam, and play by the rules.
Actually, a client does have 'skin' in the game, if an accident takes place if they "hired" the drone pilot, and not only does the pilot not have a 107, but not have liability insurance, the injured party will certainly name the client in a lawsuit. Convince the clients it will "cost" them and we will soon see more of them using legitimate 107 pilots

Actually, a client does have 'skin' in the game, if an accident takes place if they "hired" the drone pilot, and not only does the pilot not have a 107, but not have liability insurance, the injured party will certainly name the client in a lawsuit. Convince the clients it will "cost" them and we will soon see more of them using legitimate 107 pilots
I agree he’s got exposure with his insurance company and inside the legal environment, but he still doesn’t face penalties with regard to the FAA and it’s enforcement powers, which may have prevented the accident in the first place.

Last edited:
Par107 and Recreational Pilots, have different rules to fly by, right?
Not really. If you are a recreational flyer, you have the same safety guidelines ... VLOS, 400’, no flights over people/stadiums. Generally recreational flyers are bound to model clubs guidelines that are nearly, word for word, the same as the FAA rules.

FYI people
The FAA will fine you if they can, my local FISDO is gearing up for more employees to enforce drone laws, in fact they have blocked off almost a quarter of their building specifically to deal with all things drones, my suggestion is play by the rules and then your golden

In regards to Part 107 pilots providing commercial services to clients, the Part 107 license is meaningless without 1) enforcement and corresponding penalties and 2) making the client complicit in the offense. The offending clients have no skin in the game in regards to regulations and therefore have no incentive for seeking out licensed Part 107 pilots since they have no threat of penalty. I realize it's easier said than done but unless and until prospective clients face penalties, unlicensed shade tree pilots will always pose a threat to the livelihood of those pilots who took it upon themselves to pony-up $150, take the written exam, and play by the rules.
The Johns are rarely prosecuted, any more than the drug addicts! At worst, they testify against the prostitutes or the drug dealers in exchange for immunity. Same with the businesses hiring undocumented workers. As long as they are perceived as victimless crimes, nothing will change.

Reactions: FLYBOYJ
Not really. If you are a recreational flyer, you have the same safety guidelines ... VLOS, 400’, no flights over people/stadiums. Generally recreational flyers are bound to model clubs guidelines that are nearly, word for word, the same as the FAA rules.
Guidelines are not the same as Rules. :cool:

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnboy94