Approved 6 month Airspace Auth

Reaction score
I received an approved Airspace auth for Class D airspace for a 6 month time frame on Friday.

I know a lot of people were unsure about timelines and how much time to apply for, etc. We weren't sure if we needed a daily auth or could apply for a length of time.

I initially applied with a lat/long 3 miles from the Airport within the Class D for 250' AGL with a 2nm radius. This is a new neighborhood with plenty of listing opportunity in the future as well as a few current listings my client has requested services for. 2 weeks later I received a call asking more detailed questions.

They were able to approve my request if I lowered to 150' and a 1 nm radius. They informed me that a 1nm radius is the max for approval for class d and that I should keep it less than that for future applications if I want a quick turnaround. They were very helpful in coming up with a good solution that works for them and myself.

They also told me, as stated in the recent FAA article), that most are being rejected for incomplete info and not following Performance based standards.

If I can give anyone one single tip when applying, please read the standard for the specific waiver or auth you need and include all relevant details required.

Hope this helps.

I submitted an authorization request Wednesday and got an email on Thursday asking some follow up questions about altitude and radial distance. So someone is already looking at the request. While I was hoping that I might hear more Friday, I realistically wouldn't expect to hear from the FAA again until next week (yes, I can be optimistic!). But it was good to see that they are working these requests in a timely manner I'll keep progress posted.

Thanks for the post - super helpful! Follow up Q, do you know exactly where to find:

the standard for the specific waiver or auth you need and include all relevant details required.

The waiver/authorization site is super vague - just a big text box to describe operations - what exactly are they looking for to approve the request?

Thanks for the post - super helpful! Follow up Q, do you know exactly where to find:

The waiver/authorization site is super vague - just a big text box to describe operations - what exactly are they looking for to approve the request?

On this link:

Request a Waiver/Airspace Authorization – Small Unmanned Aircraft System (sUAS)

This is where you apply for waiver. At the very top are 2 links called "Instructions" and "Performsnce based standards". Inside the Performance based standards document is everything you need for every single type of request.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
argues