Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Approaching Restricted Area warning

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by RVD98072, Jan 12, 2016.

1. RVD98072

This past weekend I was traveling in the SF bay area and I was with my brother teaching him how to fly my P3A.

I didn't know it at the time but from looking at Google Maps, the big open park that we went to is near a small municipal airport.

I don't believe that we were in a restricted area and the no fly map on the dji website indicates that we were roughly 5 miles away from the outer edge of the circle surrounding the airport. However, I did get some messages periodically that we are approaching a restricted area, etc. (so I didn't go any further, etc.).

Since we were just practicing flying, we didn't go far and only took the drone out about 1000 feet or so.

Since I didn't know where the restricted area was when I was flying (didn't see any type of indication on the map), I didn't know where I should avoid. Is there any way to tell while flying in the app where restricted areas are located?

We were also on top of a hill so 400 ft from the top of the hill seemed pretty high (and there was a small airplane flying around) so I only took it up to about 50-100 ft since that's all we needed to practice flying.