Any reviews yet?

This forum is the best place to research the P3... Some reviews were driven by "Free Product" so they might be Biased...

The P3 is a great purchase... If you you have no need to upgrade the camera.

Thanks guys! Additionally find another review after browsing for a while: http://djiphantom2vision-plus.com/dji-phantom-3-quadcopter-review/

How do you think, P3 4K camera is better than GoPro Hero 4?

Better? Highly subjective

Image quality
Hero 4 has about 1/2 stop better dynamic range when shot in raw, but slightly noisier almost unnoticeable.

Features
You can goto 100ISO on the P3 which drops shutter speed. Hero4 lowest is 400.. That's a difference of 2 full stops.. Very useful.

You can start and stop P3 in flight, change camera settings and lock exposure... Which is huge and cuts a lot of time in post and helps to set a workflow on camera and keep initial file sizes low.

Both have distortion.. P3 isn't as even across the frame and they did a better job flattening it in the center of frame.

Thoughts...
1/2 stop more dynamic range is no big deal, especially for aerials and considering your gunna crush blacks anyway.

Remote features are huge and makes it easier to do a job and get it done faster resulting in more money per hour.

Lower ISO on the P3 is also great.. Especially considering you need that for clear sunny days.. Allows you to use less Glass on an ND to get close to cine speeds.

Being able to lock exposure, this turning off auto exposure is huge as well. Allows you to not have to chase auto expisure in post.

What's important to you?

If I had the stability of the Phantom platform, the dynamic range of the H4 and the remote camera functions, I wouldn't be considering a P3, Inspire, or s900 over my P2H4 setup.

Personally I'm gonna wait a few months and see if the inspire or P3 camera gets upgraded...

If I didn't have my current setup I would get a P3 now... If I had my P2H4 combo and a P3 at my disposal.. I would use the P3 because of the remote camera functionality makes the job much easier and allows you to spend more time working on creative aspects.

Edit... Forgot one important aspect that the H4 has and the P3 doesn't.. The ability to shoot 2.7k at 48p.. Although that's just a bandwith crop and if the P3s sony chip can do it, I bet you that DJI adds it in an update.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
Wow, thanks for explanation, didn't expect such a detailed answer)
From what I saw in videos, Inspire is better than both P3 and H4, buy it costs much more...

This video by Helipal shows P3P as being marginally better than the Inspire but it may just be particular samples and also the Inspire video is underexposed by about 1/2 stop. There is a similar comparison video with the P2 A. In any case the video from all these drones is excellent and very hard to match with conventional cameras.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

The Inspire looks the best to me because of the truly flat lens.. Like I said in another post.. I don't believe that the Inspire and P3P are using the same glass.

But this review is a little sketchy since you can't compare footage from a YouTube upload.. there's too much compression.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic