Any Ham Radio operators using their drone for related tasks?

I simply taped a ten inch wooden dowel to my Phantom’s landing skids on one side extending it in front about six inches. Then I used parachute cord to make a loop to hang over this dowel. One short end was weighted with a large socket with orange tape attached. Other end was laid out in loose coil about 200 feet. I set it it to fly the drone into any wind allowing the weight to dangle three feet below and the long end of cord be pulled up. In my case I flew two lines over a tower sidearm at 110 feet and three over my house to erect 40, n g80, and 160 double bazooka. Be sure to pull enough line over top to reach ground on the drop or it can tangle!

The line will stay on the dowel as you fly it up and forward. I flew it about 200 feet high and 150 feet over before I dropped after my first attempt was just over the sidearm and tangled in tower! To drop the weight and line simply yaw the drone 180 degrees in the direction of the skid it is tied to. Works great but good idea to practice in open area first. Of course point camera down and video the orange tape trace the weight down hopefully missing breakable stuff!!!???

Good luck
Jim
WA5TEF

I go peek at my antennas every time I fly, cause they are right in my back yard at the corner of the house. Got to make sure I miss it with the drone. :p

KD9ILK
Wisconsin

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl