Another one bites the dust - FOUND MY PROP - and other news

Re: Another one bites the dust

Yes, if I may answer the above question.
The old wires are much much thicker and robust than the wires from the new upgraded motors

The do look thinner.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-12-28 at 19.38.13.png
    Screen Shot 2014-12-28 at 19.38.13.png
    201.5 KB · Views: 330

DBS said:
I have an older model P2V+ ... But just recently did the V3 motor and ESC upgrade... This was probably the 8 or 9th flight on these motors and ESCs.

Tough nut to swallow but I got a solid 8 months out of this thing with lots of mods and miles apon miles of long range flights... Shame to lose it with no carnage or wreckage to go through for the CSI investigation (same way I lost my modded AR Drone)... But anyway... Start saving up for the next stupid decision I guess.

As they say... If you can't afford to lose two... Don't buy one ... :cool:

Wow... :( A lot of flights, miles, and records on that bird. Very sorry to hear she went down. Especially saddened to hear you likely can't recover her to determine the cause and to salvage what you could. When I lost my first RC many, many years back, I can still hear this old timer telling me not to feel bad because, "Every RC aircraft has an expiration date." I didn't expect it to be on my very first flight (receiver failed)! Glad you got many months of enjoyment, and hope to see you back in the air soon.

Prylar Bek said:
ALL True..But not if you listen to some other postings on this site from supposedly experienced pilots who STILL believe that these crashes are caused by pilots not reading/understanding the manual or the quad or the different settings.********. Please , DJI has a problem and its NOT pilot errors!

Don't let them fool you, if they knew why these things happen, they'd be rich. Really, really sorry for your loss. We all hate hearing these stories because we know there but for the grace of god go I.

Sandman1962 said:
Yes, if I may answer the above question.
The old wires are much much thicker and robust than the wires from the new upgraded motors

Pretty stupid cost-saving or weight-saving move by the DJI engineers if the new wiring can't handle the load. Would be typical China lack of quality control and testing. Nice Xmas present for everyone. It will be interesting how they handle this consumer nightmare.

Prylar Bek said:
ALL True..But not if you listen to some other postings on this site from supposedly experienced pilots who STILL believe that these crashes are caused by pilots not reading/understanding the manual or the quad or the different settings.********. Please , DJI has a problem and its NOT pilot errors!

I believe it is a combination of both. The Phantom is a complex device and it only takes one component to fail to bring it down. An ESC, motor, prop failure, or merely a bad solder joint and she is coming down. With each subsequent flight, the chances of a failure increase. 200, 300, 400+ flights in, you're looking at 50-150 hours of flight time. Sooner or later something is bound to fail. OTOH, there are innumerable examples of crashes due to pilot error, or by those who make the mistake of taking to the air without thoroughly understanding the aircraft.

Dirty Bird said:
Prylar Bek said:

I believe it is a combination of both. The Phantom is a complex device and it only takes one component to fail to bring it down. An ESC, motor, prop failure, or merely a bad solder joint and she is coming down. With each subsequent flight, the chances of a failure increase. 200, 300, 400+ flights in, you're looking at 50-150 hours of flight time. Sooner or later something is bound to fail. OTOH, there are innumerable examples of crashes due to pilot error, or by those who make the mistake of taking to the air without thoroughly understanding the aircraft.

Tend to agree with DB. Another interesting point to know would be if all the failures that has taken place, has been to units that where upgraded by users themselves, or if any of these reported crashes where on factory V3 versions?

From what I have read elsewhere is also factory v3's as well.

robinb said:
From what I have read elsewhere is also factory v3's as well.

That indeed would be very interesting to know, and would open up a range of possibilities as to what the problem might be.

Mine was a factory v3.0 and it did the immediate roll to the right 90 degrees and slammed to the ground. Thankfully I am still within the 30 days return period from Amazon and I am returning it.

Has the V3 upgrades that have been done and had failures, was just the new motors replaced or the motors and esc's. Maybe the v2 esc's can't handle the new motors?

I don't think its that, I think the new motor wires are too thin. Causing them to overheat and loose the insulation and shorting out.
Thankfully I held off upgrading my motors at this time.

Wow... the disclosures on this thread.

Surely the failure mode(s) are few or even singular.

• The Situation: "The Signal is obscured in our collective Noise."

It's in everyone's interest (including DJI) to categorize and identify the failure mode-source(s).
Need someone to create/manage a blog-page-type site to receive and process catastrophic flight failures.

A Virtual Team-Consortium to receive submissions, review, catalog and index UAV related incidents.
Attempt to normalize the data and evolve a set of report submission forms that are searchable:

• Pick an Acronym: I.E. DBS: Drone Blog-incident overSite ... LOL.

The FAA does it. Why not from the circles of people who have a direct and mutual interest? :

Every time I take mine up and out of site my heart and nerves go double thump. It's not a matter of if, but when. You do all you can to prevent a mishap. But if it's going to happen your not going to do anything to stop it.Get a good Locator so you can find it later. Unless it's in the drink.

Geez sorry to hear.

Its particularly sad when you think changing motors and ESCs should reset the 'time-to-failure' counter.

garrock said:
Wow... the disclosures on this thread.

Surely the failure mode(s) are few or even singular.

• The Situation: "The Signal is obscured in our collective Noise."

It's in everyone's interest (including DJI) to categorize and identify the failure mode-source(s).
Need someone to create/manage a blog-page-type site to receive and process catastrophic flight failures.

A Virtual Team-Consortium to receive submissions, review, catalog and index UAV related incidents.
Attempt to normalize the data and evolve a set of report submission forms that are searchable:

• Pick an Acronym: I.E. DBS: Drone Blog-incident overSite ... LOL.

The FAA does it. Why not from the circles of people who have a direct and mutual interest? :

Great Idea. I nominate Erotic Panda (whatever that means) it be the leader. He is the self-appointed expert in flyaways and their causes on this forum. He should be able to sort things out!

I google translated a lot of posts in that thread as I had encountered it previously... It basically says to use 2.1 esc which has 4.06 but then at the end someone with 2.1 comes along and says it happened to them lol.. The conses seems to be to use 4.06 thought... .Anyways I ordered 4 esc from the distributor and they said its 2.0 and its fine.. which obviously is not the case..

How the hell do we order 2.01... Can you get ESC from DJI ?? I couldn't find them on the site ?

robinb said:
This forum is showing blown mosfets, scroll down the page a bit.

http://www.drohnen-forum.de/index.php/T ... 18&lang=en

We're all doomed! I have four 2.0 ESCs! I have four CCW 2312 Motors, my IMU is F'd! My Compass is @hit! I've planned an aerial photo shoot over a group of nuns and pre-schoolers, what do I do? Please help us! :mrgreen:

I think im'ma juss think about sumthin else for awhile ... I still have my three other play quads that I really enjoy... This RC Logger Eye One Extreme is just a ball to fly and doesn't stress my last nerve as much as the P2V+ has lately...

It's the holidays guys...
And I got this cutie who won't let me sit around dwelling on Ghosts of Christmas Past...
c5Oycom.jpg

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year from me and the wife...

To all y'all Phantom Pilots out there who helped make this a fun year of flying one of the most popular new toys on the planet...

R.I.P. Lil Goofy
04/22/2014 - 12/28/2014

20140805_114106_zpsjnnm8gen.jpg

8 solid months of good times and world records and new friends....
Worth every penny... Gonna miss ya bubba

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adrie