Another learner from South Australia

Reaction score
I'm a new hobbyist that has retired .. I'm playing with a 3P with an interesting fault that I have not seen before and haven't seen on any of my searches .. I'm looking for the fault that causes the gimbal yaw arm to twitch about 10 deg to the left and back again about 1 every 2 to 3sec while in flight .. it seems more often when fast flight.. the drone is stable .. I can hover 3 mts infront of me and the drone is solid stable and you can see the gimbal twitching to the left .. shows on the screen too .. I have redone the firmware and calibrated everything a few times .. I bought this drone like this and I know it was crashed before but that is all I know about it .. All seems to work well except the twitchy gimbal .. Any Ideas from those in the know is appreciated ..

Reactions: RodPad and GFields
Since you've done the gimble and other calibrations, it could be the ribbon cable from the camera assembly. It's very fragile and easily damaged in a crash or even a hard landing. Not a fun job but doable, I've done several on Phantoms. If you attempt this job, be sure to only use OEM DJI parts, the label will say DJI, not 'for DJI'. 3rd party don't work. Hopefully you'll get other easier suggestions here. Good luck

If you have calibrated and adjusted the camera/gimbal in the app and it is still twitching, I agree that it may be the ribbon cable also. It is extremely important to use genuine DJI parts....not aftermarket as @Capt KO has stated above. And,...Welcome to the Forum !

Reactions: RodPad
Greetings from Birmingham Alabama USA, welcome to the forum! We look forward to hearing from you!

Since you've done the gimble and other calibrations, it could be the ribbon cable from the camera assembly. It's very fragile and easily damaged in a crash or even a hard landing. Not a fun job but doable, I've done several on Phantoms. If you attempt this job, be sure to only use OEM DJI parts, the label will say DJI, not 'for DJI'. 3rd party don't work. Hopefully you'll get other easier suggestions here. Good luck
[/QUOTE
Note: the damage to ribbon cables is usually internal, rarely visible..the wires inside are incredibly small and separate incredibly easy. Learning how to replace them is a money saving skill for drone owners. You'll need torx drivers (#6&8) and plastic pry tools for separating parts. Note: the little black tabs holding the ribbons in place are fragile, to unlock gently lift tab with plastic tool or finger, press to lock new ribbon back in place.

Welcome to the forum!!

So have you ever seen this work correctly?

I agree with all post before this one 👍

The answers are probably there, my twist is what if its not in the air?
First was thinking on unbalanced props?

But I have a feeling, that this group will ignore that one.:)

There is a lot calibration stuff.

There might be something there.

This stuff is a cool, complicated, and a mind bender. :rolleyes::)👌

Rod ,

I have replaced the ribbon cable on other phantoms I've owned but to me this looks more electrical as it is more of a regular twitch .. I will try and make a short video today of the camera output and from the outside of the drone in hover so you can see the camera from underneath ..I would guess the ribbon cable was replaced after the crash as it came with spare parts from a repair kit .(fitted before I got it)

Ok I have taken some video and with comments that have been made here, I have found that there was a vibration on the left side landing leg so have replaced the props .. It's a little better but still does it, more at high speed (under load) I'll now be looking at Motor mounts ect. I'll let you know how I get on ...

OK conclusion is that I have found the fault (left rear motor mount crack) I glued it up and that fixed it heaps but still needs a bit of work .. I have ordered metal motor re-enforcements and with a bit of luck that should fix the problem .. I would like to thank all those that have given comment and I take it all onboard as we are never too old to learn .. Thanks Again

Thanks, you responding and updates, that's makes this forum work!!
That's what we paid for. :rolleyes: :)👌

Rod ..

Reactions: captainmilehigh
I'm a new hobbyist that has retired .. I'm playing with a 3P with an interesting fault that I have not seen before and haven't seen on any of my searches .. I'm looking for the fault that causes the gimbal yaw arm to twitch about 10 deg to the left and back again about 1 every 2 to 3sec while in flight .. it seems more often when fast flight.. the drone is stable .. I can hover 3 mts infront of me and the drone is solid stable and you can see the gimbal twitching to the left .. shows on the screen too .. I have redone the firmware and calibrated everything a few times .. I bought this drone like this and I know it was crashed before but that is all I know about it .. All seems to work well except the twitchy gimbal .. Any Ideas from those in the know is appreciated ..
This is a short video showing the fault but very difficult to see without the 2nd camera.. Thanks Again !!
Sorry I couldn't work out how to upload .. Tried in Zip and also MP4 ..

This is a short video showing the fault but very difficult to see without the 2nd camera.. Thanks Again !!
Sorry I couldn't work out how to upload .. Tried in Zip and also MP4 ..
For sure a video has to be posted some where else, then a link to it, I assume same for any zip file.

@captainmilehigh
That's what we paid for.
That's is our payment,

I get in a hurry.

Rod ..

Last edited:
Reactions: captainmilehigh

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads